Ideally situated on the Hampton Roads peninsula, James City County offers access to the Chickahominy and James Rivers, home to the John Smith Chesapeake National Historic Trail; the Colonial Parkway and the Historic Triangle; and lies along the Virginia Capital Trail. In addition to these great opportunities, James City County Parks offer a variety of amenities and programs for you to explore our area!
Adventure Sports - B.A.S.E. Series
Basic Activity Skill Education (B.A.S.E.) series classes are designed to provide foundations for participation in a variety of adventure recreation activities. From gear and safety orientation to skill and technique development, the BASE courses provide safe introductions to adventure sports!
Have you heard about the technical terrain for mountain biking? Freedom Park is home to some fantastic Eastern Virginia Mountain Bike Association trails as well as Go Ape, a treetop adventure course.
Traditional Outdoor Pursuits
We provide archery instruction for both youth and adults, as well as opportunities to take part in biking, birding, boating, camping, fishing, hiking, paddling and wildlife viewing. The James City County Marina has rental bicycles, canoes and kayaks for you to explore Jamestown Island by land or sea. You can also follow the path of Captain John Smith as he explored the waters around Jamestown Island by renting canoes or kayaks from Chickahominy Riverfront Park.
- Adults in Archaeology – Immersive/interpretive program for adults, working an active archaeological dig
- Archery – Skill building programs for ages 9+
- Environmental Education Days – Grant-funded program highlighting the Chesapeake Bay watershed
- Karaoke in the Park – Free family program held at Chickahominy Riverfront Park
- Movies Under the Stars – Free family program held at Chickahominy Riverfront Park
- Outdoor Summer Camps – Day camp opportunities for ages 6-15