Real Estate Assessments
101-F Mounts Bay Rd.
Williamsburg, VA 23185
P.O. Box 8784
Williamsburg, VA 23187
Hours of Operation
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
The General Reassessment Process for Residential Properties
Fairly and equitably assessing James City County real estate and providing accurate property information under the authority of the Constitution of Virginia, Code of Virginia, and James City County Code.
- Biennially, every 2 years on even numbered years
- Next Reassessment will be as of January 1, 2016
Mass appraisal is defined by the International Association of Assessing Officers (IAAO) as “the process of valuing a group of properties as of a given date, using standard methods, employing common data, and allowing for statistical testing.”
Endorsed by the International Association of Assessing Officers, Virginia Association of Assessing Officers and the Virginia Department of Taxation.
Sales Statistical Analysis
- A number of statistical measures are then considered, such as Median Assessment Sales Ratio, Coefficient of Dispersion, Standard Deviation and Price Range Differential.
After analysis, staff selects the best statistical proposal and certifies the values for January 1. Some commercial and industrial properties are assessed using the income and cost approaches.
- Property owners can request a departmental review for 30 days following the notice of change by contacting the Real Estate Assessments Division.
- If unsatisfied, they have another 30 days to appeal to the Board of Equalization which is typically held in June.
Departmental Review of Assessments - Property reassessment reviews may be requested until March 31, 2014, by calling 757-253-6650 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Board of Equalization Assessment Appeal - The deadline to appeal to the Board of Equalization is April 30, 2014.