James City Service Authority
119 Tewning Rd. Williamsburg, VA 23188
"Let's be Water Smart" is a public/private water management initiative of the JCSA. The goal of Let's be Water Smart is to promote responsible water usage in James City County, Virginia. For more information or to become a Water Smart partner, contact JCSA at 119 Tewning Rd., Williamsburg, VA 23188-2639
Hours of Operation
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Rain Barrel and Cistern Rebate
For purchase and installation of rain barrels, the JCSA will rebate up to $25 per rain barrel, limit four rain barrels.
For purchasing and installing a cistern of at least 1,000 gallon capacity, the JCSA will rebate up to 1/4 of the JCSA Lawn Irrigation System Fee if remaining connected to JCSA water for irrigation, or half the JCSA Lawn Irrigation System Fee if not connecting to or disconnecting from JCSA water for irrigation.
Who is eligible for the JCSA Rain Barrel & Cistern Rebate?
You must be a JCSA residential water customer to apply. JCSA water customers are residents of James City County, excluding those using private wells or Newport News Waterworks water. Please see rebate requirements for details.
Many developments have signed Water Conservation Agreements during the rezoning or special use permit process before construction could begin. If your development has signed one, then the agreement should be reflected as restrictions in your neighborhood rules and covenants. Please reference your neighborhood rules and covenants before pursuing any JCSA rebate. If you are required by your neighborhood covenant to fulfill any rebated actions, then you may not be eligible for that rebate. Please also check our list of Developments and Subdivisions to see if your development has signed a Water Conservation Agreement that should be reflected as requirements in your rules and covenants.
See our Rain Barrel & Cistern Guide & Rebate Form for printable guide and rebate details.
Please note: Documents are in PDF format and requires Adobe Acrobat Reader.
"Clean Virginia Waterways offers summer rain barrel workshops for teachers and other community educators.... MORE > > >
The complete JCSA Water Conservation Rebate Programs booklet - (Enhanced Booklet) which contains this and all other JCSA rebate guides & forms is available above and free at participating local stores, the James City Service Authority lobby at 101-E Mounts Bay Road, and the County Satellite office at 3127 Forge Road. Quantities are limited.
Register and map your rain barrel using the nationwide inventory Rain Barrel Registry app or website
Why install a rain barrel or cistern?
By installing a rain barrel or cistern, you can:
- save water
- save municipal water
- prolong the life of your irrigation system
- reduce nutrient loss & disease damage
- protect our waterways & groundwater
- receive a $25 rebate!*
* All rules & restrictions apply. Please see rebate for details.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a rain barrel?
- What is a rain cistern?
- What are some benefits of rain barrels & cisterns?
- What are some things I’ll need to consider before installing a rain barrel or cistern?
- Will rain barrels or a cistern match my traditional or colonial décor?
- How do I calculate my roof’s catchment potential?
- Where do I buy rain barrels locally?
- Where do I buy a rain cistern locally?
- Where do I buy rain barrels online?
- Where do I buy a rain cistern online?
- How do I make a rain barrel?
- Where can I buy containers and other parts in order to make my own rain barrels?
- What else can I do to conserve municipal water?
- What else can I do to reduce runoff and protect my local waterways?