James City Service Authority
119 Tewning Rd. Williamsburg, VA 23188
"Let's be Water Smart" is a public/private water management initiative of the JCSA. The goal of Let's be Water Smart is to promote responsible water usage in James City County, Virginia. For more information or to become a Water Smart partner, contact JCSA at 119 Tewning Rd., Williamsburg, VA 23188-2639
Hours of Operation
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
JCSA Water Conservation Rebate Programs
Did you know…
Efficient water use is becoming increasingly important in James City County and around the nation. Ours is one of the fastest growing localities in Virginia, but our groundwater supply is limited. That’s why we must use our water wisely.
The James City Service Authority is the largest water utility in Virginia that is primarily reliant on groundwater. Water conservation is critical to meet our future water needs and preserve this limited natural resource. One of our greatest challenges is increased outdoor water use during the summer months, when 60 to 70 percent of municipal water is used by James City County residents for landscape irrigation.
Of the 69 gallons that the average North American resident uses indoors per day, toilets are by far the greatest consumers. Accounting for 27 percent of indoor water use, toilets are also a major source of water waste due to leaks and inefficiency. After toilets, the highest indoor water consumers are washing machines (22%), showers (17%), and then dishwashers (about 14% including pre-rinsing). To reduce these uses, JCSA offers the following rebates along with a rebate for ‘on demand’ hot water recirculators to minimize the time you wait for hot water at your shower or tap.
What’s the most important reason to use our rebates?
It could be the groundwater, energy, or money you save, or one of the host of other reasons that is specific to the rebated item and your situation.
We will give you plenty of reasons to use our rebates, but the first and foremost is common to them all.
Protecting our Groundwater Resources
In order to save additional water, consider indoor and outdoor water conservation techniques and other rebates from our Let’s Be WaterSmart program including mulching and drought tolerant plant selection, reduction of turf and irrigation area, and installation of WaterSense and EnergyStar labeled products such as faucets, landscape irrigation services, showerheads, and appliances. To get started, go to the blue Resources button above, or visit the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s WaterSense or EnergyStar websites.
The Environmental Protection Agency reports that depleting groundwater aquifers, such as James City County’s, can put water supplies, human health, and the environment at serious risk. Lower water levels can lead to higher concentrations of natural contaminants, such as radon and arsenic. Using water more efficiently helps maintain supplies at safe levels, protecting human health and the environment.
Please click on the links below to see reasons, considerations, and details that are specific to each rebate.
- Water Smart Landscape Rebate - Receive up to $150 or $250 depending on professional’s certification for following our guidelines for a ‘water smart’ landscape.
- Rain Sensor Rebate - Receive up to $25 for purchasing a rain sensor and using it to retrofit your older lawn irrigation system.
- Rain Barrel & Cistern Rebate - For purchasing and installing rain barrels, receive up to $25 per rain barrel, limit four rain barrels. For purchasing and installing a cistern of at least 1,000 gallon capacity, receive up to 1/4 of the JCSA Lawn Irrigation System Fee if remaining connected to JCSA water for irrigation, or half the JCSA Lawn Irrigation System Fee if not connecting to or disconnecting from JCSA water for irrigation.
Indoor Water Use
- WaterSense High-Efficiency Toilet Rebate - Receive up to $40 per toilet for purchasing and installing WaterSense high-efficiency toilets.
- High Efficiency Washing Machine Rebate - Receive up to $75 for purchasing and installing an Energy Star high-efficiency clothes washer.
- ‘On Demand’ Hot Water Recirculator Rebate - Receive up to $50 for purchasing and installing an ‘on demand’ hot water recirculator.
- High-Efficiency Dishwasher Rebate - Receive up to $50 for purchasing and installing an Energy Star high-efficiency dishwasher.