Clerk to the Board
M. Douglas Powell
Acting County Administrator
101-D Mounts Bay Rd.
P.O. Box 8784
Secretary to the Board
Board Room, Building F
101 Mounts Bay Rd.
Williamsburg, VA 23185
James City County
P. O. Box 8784
Would you like to speak at the next Board meeting? Please fill out and submit the form below before 4:00 p.m. the day of the meeting at which you wish to speak.
What you should know!
There are two types of public speaking that can occur at a Board meeting:
Public Comment: This is an opportunity to speak to any matter that is not related to a Public Hearing on the agenda.
Public Hearing: This is an opportunity to express an opinion, for or against, on a specific issue on the agenda under the heading of Public Hearing(s).
Comments must be made from the podium. A speaker’s time begins when he or she approaches the podium.
Time Limit for Public Hearing Speakers
|Time Limit for Public Comment Speakers|
Please keep in mind the following when speaking:
- Courtesy between the speaker and the audience is expected at all times
- Speakers shall refrain from obscenity, vulgarity, and profanely cursing or swearing.
- Every petition, communication, or address to the Board shall be in respectful language and is encouraged to be submitted in writing.
- Public comments should be for the purpose of allowing members of the public to present any County business-related matter, which, in their opinion, deserves the attention of the Board. The public comment period shall not serve as a forum for debate with staff or the Board.
- Citizens shall refrain from using words or statements, which, from their usual construction and common acceptance, are construed as insults or personal attacks which may have a tendency to cause an act of violence or a breach of the peace.
The Public Comment sections at the beginning and the end of the meetings are provided as a courtesy by the Board of Supervisors for citizens to address the Board on items not scheduled for a Public Hearing.
These Public Comment sections are not required by law.