Skip Navigation and go to Main Content
JCC Home page JCC Home Page
Home » Departments & Services » Building Safety & Permits » Citizen Information about Chinese Drywall
  Facebook Twitter YouTube Calendar
  Click to change text size Print this page ePayment Share this page

Contact Information:


Building Safety/Permits


101-E Mounts Bay Rd.

Williamsburg, VA 23185

Directions - Directory


P: 757-253-6626


Hours of Operation


8 a.m. - 5 p.m.



Inspector's Hours:
7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.






Additional phone numbers,

e-mails and directions



Quick Links



Citizen Information about Chinese Drywall


James City County (JCC) residents who believe they may have Chinese drywall in their home may visit the following link for answers to commonly asked questions.

PDF VIRGINIA DEPARTMENT OF HOUSING AND COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT - Division of Building and Fire Regulation - Amendments to the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code for Defective Drywall

Sen. Warner asks for new look at rules for Chinese drywall

PDFResponse Document 2 - 02-10-11

PDFResponse Document 1 - 02-10-11

PDFLetter from Reps Wittman, Rigill, Bachusto CDC

PDFCPSC Final Remediation Signed Letter

PDF11-17-10 RJW to Tenebaum CPSC

PDF12-10-10 RJW to USTR on China Meeting

PDF1-7-11 RJW to President Obama on State Visit

PDFIRS Provides Relief for Homeowners with Corrosive Drywall

Local homes with Chinese drywall to set bar for remediation- Pilot Online

PDFMay 27, 2010 - Letter

PDF2-12-10 Drywall Letter

Federal officials expected to hear from residents affected by Chinese drywall - Daily Press

PDFCPSC Identifies Manufacturers of Problem Drywall from LBNL Study

PDFLetter to Wittman

Chinese Drywall: Judge awards $2.6 Million to 7 local homeowners

PDFNews Release: HUD and CPSC Issue Guidance on Repairing Homes With Problem Drywall, April 2, 2010

PDFExecutive Summary of April 2, 2010 Release on Investigation of Problem Drywall

PDFInterim Remediation Guidance for Homes with Corrosion from Problem Drywall, April 2, 2010

PDFWittman Toxic Drywall Bill

PDFLetter to Fire Administrator in Reference to Chinese Drywall March 18, 2010

PDFInvestigation of Imported Drywall Status Update, February 2010

PDFLetter of information

PDFQuestions and Answers

PDFFrequently asked Questions Associated with Drywall imported from China

If you suspect that you have Chinese drywall in your home, the Virginia Department of Health recommends that you first contact your home’s builder. Individuals may also call the Consumer Product Safety Commission’s toll-free consumer hotline at 1-800-638-2772 or the Virginia Department of Health at 808-864-8182 for more information about Chinese drywall.

The Virginia Department of Health continues to monitor the evolving Chinese drywall issue and any potential impacts on public health. New information will be posted to the Virginia Department of Health Web site

Another good source of information is the US Consumer Product Safety Commission web site

If a JCC resident does not feel that they have received an appropriate response from their home builder, they may contact the JCC Building Safety and Permits Division at 757-253-6620 to discuss their concerns. Once determined by a Building Safety and Permits Division inspection that defective drywall product has been installed in their home, and the home is less than two years old, the Building Safety and Permits Division will contact the home builder requiring corrective action.  Section 115.2.1 of the Uniform Statewide Building Code states…..When violations are discovered more than two years after the certificate of occupancy is issued or the date of initial occupancy, whichever occurred later, or more than two years after the approved final inspection for an alteration or renovation, a notice of violation shall only be issued upon advice from the legal counsel of the locality that action may be taken to compel correction of the violation. The JCC attorney’s office has determined that the issue is beyond the statute of limitation for prosecutions under the Uniform Statewide Building Code. Consequently, the County cannot legally initiate a case under the USBC and no Notice of Violation should be issued.

PDFResponse Letter from Senator Warner's Office


The Official Site of James City County, Virginia
e-Subscribe | Contact Us | How do I? | e-Payment
Privacy Practices and Security Policy