101-E Mounts Bay Rd.
Williamsburg, VA 23185
Hours of Operation
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Division Home page
- Development Management
- Planning Division
- Engineering & Resource Protection
- Zoning Enforcement
- ePermit website - Find permits information, request inspections, check inspections status and more
- Miss Utility Buried Line Regulations
- Residential Rough-in - Electrical Violations
- Final Frequent Electrical Violations - Residential
- Sign up for Daily Update emails
e-Permit is here!
Until further notice, please disregard billing information accompanying your email notification of services from Building Safety & Permits. The billing information on the emails you receive itemize costs for needed services. Currently, they will show a payment is required even if you have already paid. This system is still under construction and you should ignore the amount due information for now. Citizen Web (ePermit) is your vehicle for obtaining services but it’s not an accounts receivable system. When construction on this system is complete the postings will itemize costs for needed services and they will show when a payment is required. We hope to have this system working soon. For further information please call us at 757-253-6620.
It's been a challenge getting to this point, but we are finally making the transition to an improved online user interface. With ePermit you will be able to:
- Apply for permits (building, plumbing, mechanical, gas, electrical, fire suppression/alarm, etc.)
- Verify that a permit has been issued
- Request inspections
- Check the status of your inspections
In order to use ePermit you will need to request a customer identification number and a personal identification number (PIN). You may obtain these by calling our front counter at 757-253-6620. Once you have these you may log in to the ePermit system at this URL: ePermit.jamescitycountyva.gov.
In order to use ePermit to request inspections, we would like you to be aware of some significant changes to the inspections request process. Please note:
NOTE: When scheduling inspections on the new ePermit website please remember the following:
- Please note that for new 1&2 Family dwellings, the trade permits will automatically be scheduled at the time the framing inspection is requested. Trade inspections will not be conducted prior to framing inspections.
- We will not conduct a final building inspection until all trade inspections have passed. Trade inspections will not be done concurrently with the final building inspection. Final building inspections scheduled without all other trades passed will automatically be cancelled.
- Please remember to schedule a concrete encased electrode inspection when a footing inspection has been scheduled for a new building.
- Footing inspections must pass before a first foundation request will be authorized
- Inspections must generally be conducted in the proper sequence. Thank you for your help in tracking your own inspections prior to requests; it should be a simple matter with access to e-permits. It helps us get the inspections scheduled for when you need them.