101-E Mounts Bay Rd.
Williamsburg, VA 23185
Hours of Operation
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Division Home page
- Development Management
- Planning Division
- Engineering & Resource Protection
- Zoning Enforcement
- ePermit website - Find permits information, request inspections, check inspections status and more
- Miss Utility Buried Line Regulations
- Residential Rough-in - Electrical Violations
- Final Frequent Electrical Violations - Residential
- Sign up for Daily Update emails
Independent Building Inspection Request Guideline
What is an Independent Inspection? Independent inspections are third party ordinary inspections. These inspections must be pre-approved. They will be approved when an inspection can not be conducted by a JCC inspector at a critical time outside the normal business hours, when a JCC inspector can not conduct an inspection within 48 hours, or for other unusual circumstances.
- Reference: Virginia USBC Section 113.7.1
How do I request an Independent Inspection?
- It must be in writing - Attention: Tom Coghill
- Droff off at Building Safety and Permits Division at the JCC Government Complex
- Drop off at Toano Satellite Services Office
- Fax into Building Safety and Permits Division at 757-259-4038
What information is needed to be submitted with an Independent Inspection request?
- Permit Number
- Street Address
- Type of Inspection
- Date of proposed inspection
- Reason for the request
- Name and credentials, including the resume and job experience of the Independent Inspector
How long will it take to process the request?
- Within one business day, or sooner depending on the circumstances.
When can I proceed with the Independent Inspection?
- Once you receive written approval from the Building Safety and Permits Division.
- If you have not been notified with a written approval, DO NOT proceed with the inspection.
- Call if you have any questions.
When is the inspection report required to be submitted?
- Within one business day.
Can I request multiple Independent Inspections at one time?
- Yes, depending on the circumstances.
- BUT REMEMBER, independent inspections are considered to be the exception and not a routine practice. THERE MUST BE A GOOD REASON!
What needs to be included in the inspection report?
- Permit number and street address.
- The James City County approved construction documents were present for use during the inspection.
- Erosion and Sediment control measures, silt fence and construction entrance, were in proper locations as noted on the approved plat plan, and were in good condition.
- Report specific details on the requested USBC inspection, listing any discrepancies and remedial work required or that the inspection is approved.