101-E Mounts Bay Rd.
Williamsburg, VA 23185
Hours of Operation
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Division Home page
- Development Management
- Planning Division
- Engineering & Resource Protection
- Zoning Enforcement
- ePermit website - Find permits information, request inspections, check inspections status and more
- Miss Utility Buried Line Regulations
- Residential Rough-in - Electrical Violations
- Final Frequent Electrical Violations - Residential
- Sign up for Daily Update emails
Building Safety and Permits Division
The Building Safety and Permits Division is responsible for the administration and enforcement of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code. This includes the review and the issuance of building permits and conducting the required building inspections. Applications for such permits can be made to the Building Safety and Permits Division or at Satellite Services.
The Board of Building Adjustments and Appeals members are appointed by the Board of Supervisors. It hears appeals regarding decisions made by the County Building Official. For more information, contact Building Safety and Permits Division at 757-253-6626.
Our ePermit website is now up and running. Find permits information, request inspections, check inspections status and more. In order to use ePermit you will need to request a customer identification number and a personal identification number (PIN). You may obtain these by calling our front counter at 757-253-6620.
- Inspection Updates
- Permit Information and Procedures
- Permit Forms and Checklists
- Special Inspections
- Residential Building Permit Fast Track Service
- Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code
- Subscribe to our Email and receive updates and announcements about permits, plan review, and inspections.
- Federal Tax Credits for Energy Efficiency Summary
- Citizen Information about Chinese Drywall
Top 3 Frequently Asked Questions
Can I get an inspection today? Inspection requests for the day must be received prior to 6:30 a.m. This limitation is necessary to allow the inspectors sufficient time to prepare for the inspections they are assigned and to plan their routes.
Who has my inspection today? Inspection tickets are typically distributed by 7:30 a.m. each day. Currently, customers may call 757-253-6620 between 7:30 and 8 a.m. and ask to speak directly with the inspector who has their ticket.
What time will the inspector arrive at my job? Inspectors plan their daily circuits to minimize travel distances. Footing inspection requests take priority especially on days where rain is anticipated. Inspectors work from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. They are in the office from 7-8 a.m. and again from 3-3:30 p.m.
In a few weeks we hope to transition to an internet-based system that will enable our customers to log in to our website to schedule inspections and to check the status of their inspections anytime.
Did not see your question? For more.....go here.