101-E Mounts Bay Rd.
Williamsburg, VA 23185
Hours of Operation
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Division Home page
- Development Management
- Planning Division
- Engineering & Resource Protection
- Zoning Enforcement
- ePermit website - Find permits information, request inspections, check inspections status and more
- Miss Utility Buried Line Regulations
- Residential Rough-in - Electrical Violations
- Final Frequent Electrical Violations - Residential
- Sign up for Daily Update emails
Inspections are required under the provisions of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code (USBC). The required inspections for buildings are listed below. James City County, the Building Safety and Permits Division, operates a 24-hour a day, 7 days a week call-in line to schedule inspections. In order to schedule an inspection, call 757-253-6625 and provide your PIN and permit number, address, name of owner or contractor and the type of inspection requested. Omission of any of this information may result in the inspection not being conducted.
- Requested inspections are transcribed Monday-Friday at 6:30 a.m. Any inspection requested after that time will be done the following business day. Inspection updates are posted daily.
- If work is not complete and/or exposed for inspection, it may be subject to disapproval and require reinspection. When work is disapproved by an inspector, a $50 reinspection fee will be charged.
Once a permit has been issued, you have the authority to commence work. The approved construction documents returned with the permit, shall be retained at the job site and be available for inspectors on request. It shall be the applicant's responsibility to perform all work in accordance with the Virginia USBC, and within the scope of what was authorized under the permit. All changes to the approved plans must be resubmitted for approval by the Building Safety and Permits Division. Prior to requesting an inspection for this work, your permit placard must be placed in a prominent location which is visible from the street. If there are multiple buildings ont he same site, please display the placard or permit number at each building location.
Separate permits are required for building, plumbing, mechanical, electrical and gas work. No requested inspections are performed unless a valid permit has been issued for that work. Work performed without a permit, when a permit is required, is a violation of law! If you have any questions about when a permit is required, call the Department of the Building Safety and Permits Division at 757-253-6626 or Email.
If you feel that it is necessary to speak directly to an inspector, their office hours are 7-8 a.m. and 3-3:30 p.m. only.
Please do not call the inspectors directly to request an inspection.