101-E Mounts Bay Rd.
Williamsburg, VA 23185
Hours of Operation
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Division Home page
- Development Management
- Planning Division
- Engineering & Resource Protection
- Zoning Enforcement
Plumbing Permit Procedure
Who should file for a plumbing permit? Plumbing permits should be applied for by the subcontractor performing the work. However, the homeowner or property owner may obtain the permit, but this is not recommended if a contractor has been hired.
What do I need to get a plumbing permit? When completing an Accessory Application, provide the general information:
- contractor name
- description of the work being performed
- number of fixtures
- project address
- property owner name
What if I have a commercial project? Drawings may be required if the project is commercial or complex in nature. These may need to include drainage fixture units, a fixture schedule including handicapped, and a rise diagram.
Is there a permit fee? Yes. The Board of Supervisors determined the fee schedule. A fee schedule is available from the Building Safety and Permits Division, the Citizens Assistance Office, or at this website.
- The minimum fee for any plumbing permit is $50, plus the addition of a 2 percent State levy.
- For the installation of each plumbing fixture or appliance, the fee is $7, plus the addition of a 2 percent State levy.
- For the installation of the water distribution system in each building, the fee is $15.00, plus the addition of a 2 percent State levy.
- For the connection of any building drain to a public or private sanitary sewage disposal system, the fee is $7, plus the addition of a 2 percent State levy.
- For each sewer (sanitary or storm), manhole (sanitary or storm), roof drain or other similar device, the fee is $7.00, plus the addition of a 2 percent State levy.
No fee paid for any permit covered under Section 4-8 of the Code shall be refunded unless the permit application is denied and a permit is not issued or the permit is issued in error. If a permit is revoked, abandoned or the project for which the permit is obtained is discontinued, a portion of the permit fee may be refunded after deducting $25, plus the addition of a 2 percent State levy, for administrative costs plus $15, plus the addition of a 2 percent State levy, for each normal inspection that has been made. No permit fee, the value of which is $25 or less, will be refunded.
Where the owner of any premises is the United States of America, the commonwealth, the county or instrumentalities thereof, the payment of any permit fee established in Section 4-8 of the Code is hereby waived. When the Housing and Community Development Administrator certifies that the work for which application has been made is funded through his office or a related program and requests that fees be waived, then the request shall be granted