101-E Mounts Bay Rd.
Williamsburg, VA 23185
Hours of Operation
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Division Home page
- Development Management
- Planning Division
- Engineering & Resource Protection
- Zoning Enforcement
- ePermit website - Find permits information, request inspections, check inspections status and more
- Miss Utility Buried Line Regulations
- Residential Rough-in - Electrical Violations
- Final Frequent Electrical Violations - Residential
- Sign up for Daily Update emails
Residential Plan Review
Residential plans submitted after May 1, 2006, will be reviewed under the 2009 Virginia Residential Code. This is the referenced code for detached one and two family dwellings and townhouses. Copies of the 2006 Virginia Residential Code may be purchased online.
Please be prepared for a thorough pre-review of your plans at the counter by one of the permit technicians when you come in to submit your application for a building permit. We have checklists available for new single-family dwellings, decks, additions and swimming pools and we are happy to provide these upon request. These lists are intended to aid you in preparing your plan submittals for review. It is not necessary to sign the checklist or present it with your application. Applications will be reviewed for completeness at the counter and will only be accepted if every item noted on the check list is found on the plans. We will be happy to answer any questions you may have regarding the checklists.