Home » Police Department » Colonial Community Corrections » Substance Abuse Therapeutic Group Program Components
4093 Ironbound Rd., Suite B
Williamsburg, VA 23188
Hours of Operation
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Substance Abuse Therapeutic Group Program Components
- Location: Colonial Community Corrections Conference Room.
- Days/Times: Monday and Wednesday evenings; initially two 1-1/2 hour sessions per week for six weeks followed by another six-week group where the client participates as a mentor; overall length of course is 36 hours in a 12-week period.
- Cost of Program to Client: $150 for 24 group sessions; fees include all materials.
- Assessment and Referral: ASI (Addiction Severity Index) done by Substance Abuse Specialist, Court orders, and agency discretion/intervention.
- Client Contract: Spells out benefits, expectations, attendance, participation, confidentiality, financial obligation, and release of information to CCC/courts.
- Group Therapy: 75 percent of session is facilitated therapy; development of group trust through peer-to-peer feedback is a key group dynamic.
- Supervision: The facilitator receives clinical supervision from CFTJ Licensed Professional Counselors, which includes consultation, mediation, and liaison services.
- Required Client Participation: Includes following group facilitator's directions, sharing information with group, and abiding by group and CCC's ground rules.
- Required Client Homework: Uses Life Without a Crutch program to complement group goals of each session; completed homework folder must be presented by last session. This provides the required reading and written activities that quickly direct the client's thinking to what he or she has been denying or avoiding in his/her life.
- Substance Abuse Education: Incorporated appropriately; see Substance Abuse Therapeutic Group Session Topics.
- Selected Videos: Complement session's objective; selected videos draw clients into deeper areas of self-awareness and by-pass the normal disease defense mechanisms.
- Twelve Step Attendance: Four 12-Step Meetings (AA, NA, MA, CA or Rational Recovery) must be attended and documented by the client during the program.
- Drug Screens: Random urine drug screens and breathalyzer screens provided by CCC during program to verify abstinence.
- Family Education: Strongly recommended but optional; this component is available by special arrangement.
- Client Evaluations: Facilitator's written review of client's participation, homework, and prognosis is provided to CCC staff after group completion with recommendations for additional treatment if needed; weekly updates are given to CCC staff as needed.
- Client Feedback: Anonymous evaluation of program, materials, and facilitators at the end of the program, which are reviewed by CFTJ and given to CCC for their records.