- A minister of any religious denomination authorized by the Circuit court to celebrate the rites of matrimony may perform the ceremony. In addition, the court in each city and county has appointed persons who are eligible to perform civil marriage ceremonies. Call (757) 564-2242 for the names of these marriage commissioners.
- There is no statutory requirement that witnesses be present at the marriage ceremony.
- The minister or marriage commissioner officiating at the marriage must complete and sign the marriage Register and the Marriage Return and forward both forms to the Clerk of the Court who issued the license within five days after the ceremony is performed. The officiant may also prepare a certificate to be given to the newly married couple.
- Ministers from other states must call this office at (757) 564-2242 prior to performing the marriage ceremony to satisfy legal requirements.
- Complete the Social Security Administration Form SS-5 (www.ssa.gov) and either mail or take it to your nearest Social Security Office. Include a certified copy of your marriage license to have your name changed. There is no fee for filing Form SS-5. You should receive your new card within four weeks. Your number will not change. For more information about changing your social security record, contact the Social Security Administration Website.
- Take your driver's license, social security card and a certified copy of your marriage license to the Department of Motor Vehicles Office. There is a $5.00 fee for a new driver's license. For more information about correcting your DMV records, contact the Division of Motor Vehicles Website at www.dmvnow.com.
More Marriage License information