Skip Navigation and go to Main Content
JCC Home page JCC Home Page
Home » Departments & Services » Development Management » Conservation Easements
  Facebook Twitter YouTube Calendar
  Click to change text size Print this page ePayment Share this page

Contact Information:


Development Management
101-A Mounts Bay Rd.
Williamsburg, VA 23185

Directions - Directory


P: 757-253-6671
F: 757-253-6822


Hours of Operation


8 a.m. - 5 p.m.



Quick Links

Conservation Easements


James City County protects open space in many neighborhoods through permanent conservation easements.  While the property is still owned by the property owners association, the County limits activities in these areas.  Those living adjacent to a conservation easement are encouraged to help the County protect these areas.

Please refer any questions on conservations easements to the County Watershed Planner's office 757-253-6670.

Frequently Asked Questions


Can I Put a Shed or Play Equipment in the Conservation Easement?


Placing any building, structure, signage and trash or debris is strictly prohibited.  This includes typical backyard structures such as sheds and play equipment.  If these items are found the easement the County will require their removal.


Can I Remove Vegetation from the Conservation Easement?


Conservation Easements are intended to be left in a natural, undisturbed state including the natural leaf litter or other ground-covering vegetation, understory vegetation or shrub layer, and tree canopy.  Removal of any vegetation is strictly prohibited.  If residents desire to remove dead, diseased, poisonous or invasive vegetation from an easement they must receive approval from the County or they may be required to pay for restoration.


A Tree in the Conservation Easement Looks Like it Might Damage My House.  How Can I Have it Removed?


Contact the County Watershed Planner's office 757-253-6670 to obtain written approval for removal.


Can I or my Homeowner’s Association Plant New Vegetation in the Conservation Easement to Restore or Improve its Appearance?


Contact the County Watershed Planner's office 757-253-6670 for approval to install new plantings and for suggestions regarding native plants.


The Official Site of James City County, Virginia
e-Subscribe | Contact Us | How do I? | e-Payment
Privacy Practices and Security Policy