3127 Forge Rd.
Toano, VA 23168
Hours of Operation
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Find Current Information
Winter Weather Safety Tips
- Get road conditions by calling 511 or visiting 511Virginia.org.
- Clear the snow and ice from your vehicle’s roof, hood and trunk and especially from the windows, mirrors and lights.
- Let someone know your destination, your route and when you expect to arrive.
- Leave a few minutes early.
- Bring a cell phone.
- Keep an emergency kit in your car that includes the following: shovel, windshield scraper, battery-powered radio, flashlight, extra batteries, water, snack food, gloves/mittens, hat, blanket, tow chains or rope, tire chains, bag of road salt or sand, a fluorescent distress flag, booster cables, road map and emergency flares.
- Don't pass a snowplow or spreader unless it is absolutely necessary. Treat these as you would emergency response vehicles.
- Be aware of potentially icy areas such as shady spots and bridges.
- Keep a safe distance behind other vehicles and trucks that are plowing the road.
- Always wear your seat belt.
Prepare your home
- Plug electrical heaters directly into the wall and not into extension cords.
- Keep a 3-foot clearance between all heating equipment and anything that can burn.
- Install smoke detectors in every bedroom, outside of sleeping areas and on every level of the home. Check batteries monthly.
- Make sure outdoor pets have dry shelter with blankets or hay, unfrozen water and food.
Stock up on supplies
- Battery-powered radio capable of receiving NOAA Weather Radio and extra batteries
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Food and water
- Family or personal first aid kit
- Extra blankets
- Warm clothes and shoes/boots
- Pet supplies
Plan for special needs
- Elderly or disabled County residents should call 757-259-3202 now for assistance to develop personal winter preparedness plans. This is a voluntary service and all personal information remains confidential.
Know your limits outdoors
- Dress warmly, work slowly and take frequent breaks.
- Know the signs of a heart attack and hypothermia.
Know where to get local information
- Sign up for emergency updates at JCCAlert.org
- Follow us on facebook.com/jamescitycounty and twitter.com/jamescitycounty
- Watch JCC TV on Cox Cable Channel 48
- Listen to local radio and TV stations including WMBG 740 AM and the Tide 92.3 FM
- Call the County’s Emergency Hotline 757-875-2424
School closings and delays
- Call the school hotline 757-603-6483, visit wjccschools.org or watch Channel 47 on Cox Cable.
- Call Dominion Virginia Power - 1-866-DOM-HELP