Skip Navigation and go to Main Content
JCC Home page JCC Home Page

Contact Information:


Fire Administration

5077 John Tyler Highway

Williamsburg, VA 23185

Directions - Directory

P: 757-220-0626
F: 757-220-9125



For Emergencies dial 911


Hours of Operation


8 a.m. - 5 p.m.






Home » Departments & Services » Fire / Emergency Services » Fire Marshall's Office FAQs
  Facebook Twitter YouTube Calendar
Click to change text size Print this page ePayment Share this page




Fire Marshall's Office FAQs


How do I get a maximum occupancy load for a room or building?

Contact the Building Safety and Permits office at 757-253-6626.

Can I burn my yard waste?

Burning of yard waste is prohibited in those areas of the county zoned “Residential.” Call the Fire Marshal’s Office at 757-220-0626 to determine if you can burn.

Are fireworks legal in James City County?

Fireworks are illegal in James City County. Fireworks displays conducted with a permit issued by the Fire Marshal’s Office are exempt.


How do I dispose of my old fire extinguisher?


Call the Virginia Peninsulas Public Service Authority (VPPSA) at 757-259-9850.

Can I plant shrubs around a fire hydrant?

No. The Statewide Fire Prevention Code states, “Unobstructed access to fire hydrants shall be maintained at all times.” “A 3-foot clear space shall be maintained around the circumference of fire hydrants.”


The Official Site of James City County, Virginia
e-Subscribe | Contact Us | How do I? | e-Payment
Privacy Practices and Security Policy