Fire Safety Education
JCC Fire Department
5077 John Tyler Highway
Williamsburg, VA 23185
For Emergencies dial 911
Fourth Grade Teachers
James City County Fire Public Fire Education 4th Grade Program
This is a 3 week program, one 45 minute block per week. The program requires participation from parents, teachers and children.
Science 4.3 – The student will investigate and understand the characteristics of electricity. Key concepts include basic circuits
English 4.1 - The student will use effective oral communication skills in a variety of settings.
- Contribute to group discussions
- Seek ideas and opinions of others
- Use evidence to support opinions
- Use grammatically correct language and specific vocabulary to communicate ideas
English 4.5 - The student will read and demonstrate comprehension of nonfiction.
- Formulate questions that might be answered in the selection
- Make simple inferences, using information from texts
- Identify new information gained from reading
Key Terms and Concepts
- Home Escape Plan
- Fire Hazards
- Burn Prevention
The students will –
- Complete their home escape plan, including smoke alarms, two exits, how to write the plan as a family, special considerations, and a safety check list.
- See fire safety videos, which emphasize the reality of a fire in a home and the correct actions to take to escape.
- See and discuss common fire hazards found in homes
- Discuss the fire triangle
- Complete a home fire drill with their families
- See examples of common electrical and kitchen fire hazards
- Participate with Stop, Drop, Cover and Roll
- Identify different types of burns and how you can become burned
- Discuss burn treatment
- See and discuss fire extinguishers; adults only should use them!
- See and discuss cooking safety
- Discuss arson, false alarms, fireworks and outdoor fire safety
- Visit several websites with educational fire safety games