Fourth Grade Teachers
James City County Fire Public Fire Education 4th Grade Program
This is a 3 week program, one 45 minute block per week. The program requires participation from parents, teachers and children.
Science 4.3 – The student will investigate and understand the characteristics of electricity. Key concepts include basic circuits
English 4.1 - The student will use effective oral communication skills in a variety of settings.
- Contribute to group discussions
- Seek ideas and opinions of others
- Use evidence to support opinions
- Use grammatically correct language and specific vocabulary to communicate ideas
English 4.5 - The student will read and demonstrate comprehension of nonfiction.
- Formulate questions that might be answered in the selection
- Make simple inferences, using information from texts
- Identify new information gained from reading
Key Terms and Concepts
- Home Escape Plan
- Fire Hazards
- Burn Prevention
The students will –
- Complete their home escape plan, including smoke alarms, two exits, how to write the plan as a family, special considerations, and a safety check list.
- See fire safety videos, which emphasize the reality of a fire in a home and the correct actions to take to escape.
- See and discuss common fire hazards found in homes
- Discuss the fire triangle
- Complete a home fire drill with their families
- See examples of common electrical and kitchen fire hazards
- Participate with Stop, Drop, Cover and Roll
- Identify different types of burns and how you can become burned
- Discuss burn treatment
- See and discuss fire extinguishers; adults only should use them!
- See and discuss cooking safety
- Discuss arson, false alarms, fireworks and outdoor fire safety
- Visit several websites with educational fire safety games