Skip Navigation and go to Main Content
JCC Home page JCC Home Page
  Facebook Twitter YouTube Calendar
  Click to change text size Print this page ePayment Share this page

Contact Information:


James City Service

Authority (JCSA)

Directions - Directory

119 Tewning Rd.

Williamsburg, VA 23188




Hours of Operation

Engineering & Operations
7 a.m.-3:30 p.m.

8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.


P: 757-253-6800
F: 757-259-4115

For questions about:


Starting or Stopping Service


Web Self-Service or Kubra



P: 757-229-7421
F: 757-229-2463

7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.


Water / Sewer Emergencies


P: 757-229-7421
7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m

After Hours

Special Information Hotline


Miss Utility

Dial 811 in Virginia or

Online Applications


Frequently Asked Questions


I am experiencing discolored water. Reddish/yellow or orange water is most likely the result of sediment being stirred up due to high water demands, waterline breaks/repairs or the operation of fire hydrants.

A milky or whitish discoloration is the result of air that has been introduced into the system either through water line breaks/repairs or that has naturally come out of solution.

If you have discolored water, call our Operations at 757-229-7421 and we will send a field technician to investigate and institute water flushing if necessary. If the water does not look safe to drink seek alternative drinking water until the issue is addressed by the JCSA.

I have stains and/or deposits from the water. Deposits and stains are the results of naturally occurring minerals in our water. Although these minerals are in trace amounts, over time they can leave deposits on fixtures, toilets, sinks and tubs. Applying a commercial car wax so that the water runs off the fixtures and cleaning fixtures regularly will go a long way to reducing the deposits. The key thing is to not allow the water to evaporate leaving the minerals behind. Products found at hardware and grocery stores that are advertised as hardness stain removers are effective. A home treatment system like a water softener or reverse osmosis will remove the minerals that cause these stains, but water softeners can increase sodium levels. Stains and deposits do not mean that your water is not safe to drink.

I have a bad taste and/or odor in my water. We introduced chlorine as a disinfectant into the water system to meet State and Federal Regulations. People not accustomed to chlorinated water may be more sensitive to the odor.

Hydrogen sulfide, which causes a sulfur taste/odor is naturally occurring in our groundwater. Chlorine usually eliminates the hydrogen sulfide. However, trace amounts may still be present in the water. Hydrogen sulfide tends to come out of solution over time and migrate to high points and dead-ends in the water system. Hydrogen sulfide can also be the result of anodes found in your hot water heater. If the chlorine or sulfur odor/taste is unacceptable to you, there are home treatment system such as a granular activated carbon that will help remove taste and odors. Since these systems remove chlorine, they must be properly maintained to prevent bacteria growth. If taste and odors are abnormal, call Operations at 757-229-7421 and we will send a field technician to investigate.

What is the hardness in my water? Depending on what area of the County you live in will determine the hardness of your water. The average water hardness in the Central System is around 30-50 mg/l (1.8-2.9 grains). However, the hardness in the upper portion of the County at the Independent Water Systems such as Kings Village may be as high as 100 mg/l (5.9 grains). Call the JCSA Operations Center, at 757-229-7421 for further information.

What is the fluoride level in my water? The area of the County you live in affects fluoride levels. The average fluoride level in the Central System is around 1.0 mg/l. However, the fluoride level in the upper portion of the County at the Independent Water Systems may be much lower. The recommended level for fluoride is around 1.0 mg/l. Call the JCSA Operations Center at 757-229-7421 for further information.

I have low water pressure. Are you experiencing low water pressure throughout your whole house or is it just in one faucet? If you are experiencing low water pressure or volume throughout the household, contact our Operations at 757-229-7421 and we will check the pressure at the water meter coming into your service line. If your entire home has low pressure, we could be experiencing high water demands or a water line break. If, however, the pressure or volume varies throughout the household, the problem is localized to the immediate residence and may require a plumber to rectify the situation.

I am moving and need to change my billing information. If you are relocating and need to cancel or initiate your water or sewer service, call our Customer Service at 757-253-6800 Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

I have slow drainage/stoppage. If you are experiencing slow drainage throughout the household, bubbling or abnormally low or high water levels in the toilet bowl, your sewer lateral line may be restricted or blocked. To prevent unwanted sanitary sewer discharge within your home shut off all water consuming appliances (clothes and dish washing machines, showering and bathing facilities, etc). If you have stopped all water consuming appliances and sewer discharge continues to accumulate, call the JCSA Operations Dispatch at 757-229-7421 immediately!

Generally speaking, the JCSA maintains the sewer main system up to the property line. If, however, the blockage may be attributed to the sewer lateral leading from the house to the property line, a residential plumber should be contacted.

What if it is downstairs that's plugged and upstairs is not? Normally your house has two cleanouts, one near your house and one by the street. The JCSA is responsible for the cleanout by the road (there may be several cleanouts - as required by Building Safety and Permits for distance) and the owner is responsible for the cleanout by the house. For further assistance, call our Operations Center at 757-229-7421 and we will check the sewer flows at the main line coming into your service line.

(Remember: household insurance and property landlords do not normally insure against damages associated with sewer discharges inside homes. Additional protection is available through your insurance agent.)

Why is there colored paint on the ground? To protect all underground utilities, the JCSA complies with the State Corporation Commission mandate to notify the Miss Utility network (1-800-552-7001). All underground utilities respond by indicating with paint where their lines are buried and which services may be in conflict with the proposed work. In addition, JCSA Meter Readers paint small blue marks at the curb and edge of payment to better locate meters. Customers can help by trimming bushes around the meter box and keeping the meter box free of mulch and debris.

What is the noise I hear coming from the pumping station? JCSA has several water and sewer pumping stations. Most stations have a generator for backup power should commercial power fail. The generator exercises on regular schedule as well as during commercial power outages and may be considered noisy by some depending on the size of the generator.

How do I locate the tap after paying my fees for a new water/sewer connection? After paying tap fees the contractor is responsible to obtain record drawings from the general contractor, developer, or JCSA. From these drawings the contractor will make a good faith effort to locate JCSA infrastructure. They will ensure Miss Utility is notified. JCSA will provide on site markings for water and sewer locations, we will also indicate an approximate depth of the main line. The contractor will make the tie-in within JCSA standards. The infrastructure will be within the markings or will be located by JCSA at no charge. The contractor may request that the JCSA find and uncover the sewer stub, standpipe or water meter box and JCSA will invoice the contractor for costs incurred.

I have a private well that is going dry. Call JCSA Engineering at 757-229-7421.

I am not on JCSA water but would like my water tested. The JCSA does not have a lab to test your water. All chemical and bacteriological samples JCSA is required to perform are tested at a fee for service by State and private labs. Residents wishing to have their water tested should contact one of the private labs.

I'm ready for my water meter to be installed. When paying your fees for a water meter please request the specifications needed to ensure your meter box is ready to accept the meter installation. In general, the meter box must be at proper grade, connected to either a standpipe with a vacuum breaker for a temporary connection or permanently connected to the house. It should be cleaned of all dirt and debris, and the meter setter must be between 16- and 22-inches of the meter box top. See the specifications for further clarification.

I am experiencing white flakes in the water. In most cases this is due to corrosion from the anode rod in the water heater. An anode is a rod in your water heater that is designed to corrode or self-sacrifice in order to prevent corrosion of the interior of the water heater. Severe corrosion of the anode rod can cause white flakes in your household plumbing and appear in your water. Anodes are made of various materials. Aluminum is the least expensive material used in anodes and the fastest to fail. Magnesium anodes will last the longest but are more expensive. Once your anode is gone the water heater tank becomes the sacrificial anode potentially resulting in rusty water and eventual failure.

Do I need a permit and inspections to install a well on my property? The James City County Well Ordinance (see Article VI, Well Construction) requires that well drillers obtain a construction permit from Building Safety & Permits prior to beginning work. For more information, click here.

The Official Site of James City County, Virginia
e-Subscribe | Contact Us | How do I? | e-Payment
Privacy Practices and Security Policy