Weather experts are predicting an unusually cold winter season with temperatures and wind chills dipping into dangerous levels. Here are some easy steps to keep your home and family safe:
- Have on hand:
- Extra blankets and warm clothes
- A 3 - 5 day supply of non-perishable food
- A first aid kit and cold/flu supplies
- Test the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.
- Bring pets inside or shelter in a warm, dry place with extra food and fresh water.
- Never use generators or grills indoors. Keep space heaters at least three feet from bedding and
other flammable items to prevent fires and burns.
- Avoid being on the roads if they are snow or ice-covered. Have a car emergency kit and share your
trip details and estimated time of arrival with a friend or family member. Be sure to have a cell phone
In the event severe weather strikes, monitor local media including TIDE Radio 92.3 FM and WMBG AM 740;
the County’s website; JCC TV48 online or on Cox Cable; or call 875-2424.
For more tips, visit Ready Virginia.