Storm Debris Removal Information
Curbside collection of storm debris in James City County is underway. As of September 29, storm debris is being collected in the following areas: Stonehouse District along the Richmond Road corridor, Longhill Road corridor, Route 5/Ironbound Rd area, Jamestown Rd/Settlers Mill area. Progress is being monitored daily. Updates will be made weekly.
The following materials will be collected in James City County:
- Vegetative Debris: Branches, limbs and tree trunks should be placed next to the roadway for collection. Material can be up to ten feet long. Stumps/root balls will be collected if they are out of the ground and placed at the curb. Please remove as much dirt as possible. Do not mix with other materials.
- Construction / Housing Debris: Debris from damaged houses and water damaged large furnishings should also be placed at the roadside for collection. Material that will be collected includes lumber, plywood, roofing materials, sheetrock, siding, insulation, wire, cables, furniture, and carpeting. Do not mix with other materials.
- White Goods and other Metals: Appliances damaged from the storm including refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, washers, and dryers should be placed at the roadside along with other metals. Do not mix with other materials. Doors must be removed from refrigerators and freezers and all food must be removed.
Place these materials in separate piles at the roadside. Do not mix the different materials into one pile.
Do not place regular household trash in the piles for special collection.
Do not place materials near mail boxes or fire hydrants.
Do not place materials under power lines or near power poles.
Do not place materials over water meters or manhole covers.
If you have a grinder pump, do not place material over cleanouts or vents.
More than one collection will be provided in each neighborhood to complete the clean up. Move as much material to the roadside as soon as possible.
Convenience Center Information
Regular hours of operation at the Centers have resumed. The hours are:
- Jolly Pond Convenience Center - 1204 Jolly Pond Road - Sunday through Saturday, 7:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Tewning Road Convenience Center - 107 Tewning Road - Monday 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.; Tuesday - Saturday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Closed Sunday.
- Toano Convenience Center - 3127 Forge Road - Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.; Thursday - Friday: 12:00 - 8:00 p.m.; Saturday, Sunday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Coupons are required for regular household trash. Residents can bring in storm debris for disposal at no charge, until further notice.
All brush/bulky waste must be taken to the Jolly Pond Convenience Center. Bagged waste only will be accepted at the Tewning Road and Toano Convenience Centers.
Contractors providing storm debris removal services are not eligible to use the Convenience Centers, including the landfill site at Jolly Pond Road.
For additional information call:
- James City County Recycling Office 259-9850
- Virginia Peninsulas Public Service Authority 259-9850
Curbside recycling has resumed. Place your bins curbside by 7am. on your collection day.
The collection and removal of storm debris will be an immense project. Thank you for your patience.