James City County Hurricane Recovery Update - September 26, 2003 - 6:30 p.m.September 26, 2003, 6:30 p.m.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: James City County Emergency Operations Center - Veda McMullen, EOC PIO
(Emergency Operations Center/Public Information Office)
Phone: (757) 564-2154 PIO Desk ---- (757) 566-4315 Citizen Inquiry Line
The Salvation Army needs your donation of non-perishable canned foods to assists victims of Hurricane Isabel. You can drop off the canned foods at the Salvation Army, 151 Kristiansand Drive (off Richmond Road in Norge). On Monday, September 29, beginning at 12 noon, the Salvation Army will be distributing the family food boxes at Hill Pleasant Farm, 7152 Richmond Road in Norge for as long as supplies last. For more information, call the Salvation Army at 229-6651 or the County's Emergency Operations Center at 566-4315
James City County hurricane victims may apply for disaster Food Stamps. Residents not usually eligible for Food Stamps may qualify temporarily. Eligibility depends on income, available resources, the nature and amount of disaster related losses. Income for a family of four is $2,010 monthly. Citizens may apply at Social Services, 5249 Olde Towne Road., 9 am to 4 pm. September 29 - October 7. Proof of identity and residency are required, such as driver’s license or utility bill. Current Food Stamp recipients will automatically receive a half month allotment in their Electronic Benefits Transfer account. For information, call 259-3233.
Dominion Power will be providing power restoration information for individual customers beginning Saturday, September 27, 12 noon. Customers may call 1-888-667-3000 to receive the date their power is expected to be restored.
James City County will be distributing ice to Toano Middle School, 7817 Richmond Road, on Saturday, September 27 beginning at 8 am and on Sunday, September 28 beginning at 10 am.. while daily supplies last.
Residents with continuing emergency needs for water can bring their own jugs/containers at any time to the following parking lot locations to receive water: the County’s Fire Stations -- Fire Station 1 (3135 Forge Road in Toano), Station 4 (5312 Olde Towne Road) and Fire Station 5 (3201 Monticello Avenue), Toano Middle School (7817 Richmond Road), D. J. Montague Elementary (5380 Centerville Road), and Stonehouse Elementary (3651 Rochambeau Drive).
James City County Convenience Centers will return to normal operating hours on Monday, September 29. The hours are as listed:
- 1204 Jolly Pond Road: 7 a.m. - 5 p.m., 7 days/week;
- 107 Tewning Road: Monday, 8 a.m. - noon; Tuesday - Saturday, 8 a.m - 4p.m.; Closed Sunday;
- 3127 Forge Road/Toano: Saturday, Sunday, Monday - Wednesday, 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.; Thursday & Friday, Noon - 4 p.m.
Storm-related debris, such as spoiled food, branches, and tree limbs, continue to be accepted free of charge. Disposal of regular household trash REQUIRES COUPONS. For more information, call the Recycling Hotline at 259-9850.
The James City/Williamsburg Community Center, 5301 Longhill Road and James River Community Center, 8901 Pocahontas Trail are operating under normal business hours. Residents with emergency needs for bathing facilities can use either facility. Residents should bring their own bathing supplies.
Debris clean-up has begun in James City County. To participate, residents are asked to leave materials by the roadside -- away from mail boxes, fire hydrants, power lines and poles, water meters, manhole covers and other obstructions. Place all materials in separate piles and do not mix materials.
Accepted materials include:
- Branches, limbs, and tree trunks up to ten feet long
- Debris from damaged houses and water damaged large furnishings including lumber, plywood, roofing materials, sheetrock, siding, siding, insulation, wire, cables, furniture and carpeting.
- Appliances including refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, washers, and dryers will also be accepted. Doors must be removed form refrigerators and freezers and all food must be removed.
- Do not place regular household trash in the piles for special collection. More than one collection in each neighborhood will be provided.
Residents needing a storm damage repair building permit may get repair permits at no charge from James City County Code Compliance at the following locations:
- Code Compliance office, 101 Mounts Bay Road, Building E
- Satellite Office, 3127 Forge Road
Permits are available for printing from the County web site at www.jccEgov.com and may be mailed or faxed to:
James City County Code Compliance
101 Mounts Bay Road Building E
P.O. Box 8784
Williamsburg, Virginia 23187-8784
- 259-4038 (Code Compliance)
- 566-8712 (Satellite Office, Toano)
Residents needing more information should call the James City County Code Compliance at (757) 253-6626.
- *Questions about grinder pumps, call the James City Service Authority, 229-7421 or 229-2463.
- Parks and Recreation will be issuing Before and After School Program credits and waiving late fees for days missed due to weather and closings. Call 259-3200.
- James City County has lifted the special curfew imposed after Hurricane Isabel's arrival.
- Newport News Waterworks has lifted their Boil Water Notice.
- James City County will be enforcing all current open burning regulations. For information about those regulations, call 564-2180.
- James City County citizens with power restored and Cox Cable can watch Channels 46 and 48 or call the County's Emergency Hotline number 875-2424 for more local information.