JCC Board of Supervisors Adopts Permanent Outdoor Water Use Ordinance
Date: February 28, 2003
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Larry M. Foster, General Manager, JCSA
Phone: (757) 253-6806
The James City County Board of Supervisors voted on February 25, 2003, to adopt a permanent Ordinance governing outdoor water use. The permanent Ordinance is based on an odd/even and time of day water use schedule, and is similar to the Ordinance adopted in June of 2002. The Ordinance only affects customers of the JCSA. Citizens with private wells and residents in the neighborhoods of Kings Mill and Grove who are customers of Newport News Water Works are not affected but the County encourages all citizens to follow the odd/even guidelines.
Under the Ordinance, which will be in effect yearly from May 1 through September 30:
- No outdoor water use is permitted between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. daily.
- No outdoor water use is permitted at any time on Monday.
- JCSA customers with street addresses ending in an odd number (i.e., 101 Main Street) can use water outdoors between midnight and 9 a.m. and between 5 p.m. and midnight on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. Common areas are considered to have an odd address.
- JCSA customers with even numbered addresses (i.e., 102 Main Street) can use water outdoors between midnight and 9 a.m. and between. The washing of automobiles, trucks, trailers boats, motor bikes, airplanes or other motor vehicles is prohibited unless at a licensed vehicle washing business that recycles water.
- The washing of streets, driveways, parking lots, sidewalks, service station aprons, home and building exteriors or other outdoor surfaces unless by a businesses licensed to wash or power wash.
- Violation of the Ordinance is a Class I Misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of up to $2,500.
Exemptions from the Ordinance include:
- Outdoor use of water by hand with a container or with a hose with an automatic shutoff nozzle.
- A one-time exemption for the establishment of new turf for sixty days from the time of seeding or sod installation in order to allow the turf to become well established. Customers must apply for a new lawn exemption by submitting a request to the JCSA in writing.
- The watering of nursery stock or plant material at a business that grows or sells plant material.
- Businesses that perform pressure washing as part of their services.
Ordinance details will be available by 3/5/03 on the County's website, www.jccEgov.com. Residents may also call the Outdoor Water Info Line at 259-4152 for a recorded message, the JCSA Water Conservation Coordinator at 253-6859, or JCSA Customer Service at 253-6800.