2008 Cooling Assistance applications available
Date: June 10, 2008
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Tom Little
Chief of Eligibility
Phone: (757) 259-3147
Aid available for needy families this summer
Cooling assistance applications will be accepted June 16 - August 15 as part of the Virginia Department of Social Services’ Energy Assistance Program (EAP).
Assistance is available to households that include a child under age six, a disabled individual or an adult age 60 or over who meet income and eligibility requirements.
Cooling assistance can be used to assist families and individuals with:
• payment of electric bills up to $150 to operate cooling equipment;
• payment of security deposits for electricity to operate cooling equipment;
• repair of a central air conditioning system or heat pump;
• purchase of a whole-house fan, including ceiling or attic fans; and
• purchase and installation of one window unit air conditioner for households without one or with one that needs to be replaced.
The maximum gross monthly income (before taxes) for one person is $1,127 and $2,297 for a household of four.
To learn more visit http://www.dss.virginia.gov/benefit/ea/index.html or call James City County Social Services at 259-3100. Applications must be received by Friday, August 15.
EAP is funded by the federal Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program block grant. The Cooling Assistance program served 115 James City County households last year.
James City County Social Services is located at 5249 Olde Towne Road and administers local social services programs, consistent with federal and state law and policy of the State Board of Social Services. We work in partnership will all citizens to achieve a quality community by offering services and creating assets that:
• Improve the ability of families and individuals to become self sufficient to their greatest ability while ensuring assistance and care for those individuals unable to achieve self sufficiency;
• Promote healthy lifestyles and neighborhoods;
• Engage, educate, and empower citizens; and
• Promote social responsibility