James City County Police Urge Residents to Lock Up to Prevent Crime
Date: September 29, 2009
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact:Renee Dallman, Communications Specialist
In response to a local increase in thefts from vehicles, James City County Police need your help.
Theft is often a crime of opportunity; the thief looks for unlocked doors and unsecured property that he or she can take quickly and quietly. Frequently stolen items include GPS receivers, laptops, purses, iPods and stereos.
Fortunately, there are safeguards you can take to prevent yourself from becoming a victim of crime.
- Always lock your vehicle.
- Keep valuables out of plain view inside your vehicle.
- Park your vehicle in a garage or a well-lit parking area.
- Never leave the keys in an unattended vehicle.
- Lock your doors even if you are going inside for a moment.
- Install and use an alarm system.
- Start or join a neighborhood watch program and get to know your neighbors.
If you see a crime in progress, call 911. Otherwise, report suspicious activity to James City County Police by calling 566-0112.
For more information about crime prevention and the Neighborhood Watch program, call the Community Services Unit 253-2481 or visit jccEgov.com/police.