JCC Police Offer Crime Prevention Tips for Holiday Shopping
December 9, 2009
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Renee Dallman, Communications Specialist
Phone: (757) 253-6864
James City County Police remind residents that with all of the sights and sounds of the holiday season, it is easy to become distracted and forget about personal safety and crime prevention. The following tips can help ensure a safe and enjoyable shopping trip.
- Do not leave your car unattended while it is running or warming up.
- Park and walk in well lit areas.
- Remember where you parked your car so you can find it without delay.
- Keep your car locked at all times. Do not leave purchases, cell phones, purses, GPS units or other items of value in your parked car where they can be easily seen.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Look for suspicious activity and walk with authority.
- Keep your cell phone with you.
- Shop with friends or family members. People in groups are less likely to become victims of crime.
- Do not carry large amounts of cash. When possible, pay for purchases with checks and debit or credit cards.
- Keep your wallet in a front pocket to reduce your chances of being pickpocketed.
- Carry your keys as you return to your car.
- Return to the store for assistance if you spot suspicious activity near your car.
- Stay alert while getting items in or out of your car. If someone approaches and you feel threatened, get in and lock the doors until they leave the area. If they loiter, drive away.
- Do not hesitate to ask for a security escort if you feel unsafe.
For more tips, call the James City County Community Services Unit at 253-2481.