The Norge Depot Makes the National Register of Historic Places
Date: May 11, 2009
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Renee Dallman, Communications Specialist
Phone: (757) 253-6864
James City County is pleased to announce that the Norge Depot is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The National Register is the official list of the nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized under the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Register includes districts, sites, buildings, structures, and objects that are significant in American history, architecture, archeology, engineering, and culture.
Register listing makes the Depot eligible for technical assistance from the Virginia Department of Historic Resources and requires federal agencies to take the property’s historic status into account when planning projects.
The Norge Depot was built between 1906 and 1908 by the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad Company. When faced with potential demolition by CSX, the Depot was moved in 2006 to the James City County Library site on Croaker Road. The Depot is the last surviving example of its type, a wood frame “Informal Standard” depot, in the six state Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad (C&O) region. These “Informal Standard” depots of the C&O system were built according to an informal plan for which no standard drawing was prepared and entered in the railway’s set of design standards as opposed to styles designed in the C&O’s Chief Engineer’s Office.
Other County properties listed on the Register include Mainland Farm and Jamestown Beach Campground and Yacht Basin, all located within the boundaries of the Governor’s Land Archaeological District.