2011 Cooling Assistance applications available
July 8, 2011
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Diana Hutchens, Community Services Manager
Cooling assistance applications will be accepted through Aug. 15 as part of the Virginia Department of Social Services’ Energy Assistance Program (EAP.)
Assistance is available to households that include a child under age six, a person with disabilities or an adult age 60 or over who meet income and eligibility requirements.
Cooling assistance can be used to assist families and individuals with:
- financial aid to help with electric bills to operate cooling equipment;
- payment of security deposits for electricity to operate cooling equipment;
- repair of a central air conditioning system or heat pump;
- purchase of a whole-house fan, including ceiling or attic fans; and
- purchase and installation of one window unit air conditioner for households without a working unit.
The maximum gross monthly income (before taxes) for one person is $1,180 and $2,422 for a household of four.
To learn more visit www.dss.virginia.gov/benefit/ea or call James City County Social Services at 757-259-3100. Applications must be received by Monday, Aug. 15.