December 14, 2011
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Leslie A. Sten, MPO
Give your loved ones the gift of safety
There will be many reasons to be merry this holiday season. Making sure that your loved ones enjoy themselves responsibly is one of the most reliable ways to guarantee their safety. That is why James City Police Department would like everyone to embrace the spirit of driving sober this season.
“The message is simple, drinking alcohol and driving do not mix. If you plan to consume alcohol, you should plan not to get behind the wheel of a vehicle or on a motorcycle,” said Chief Emmett Harmon of the James City County Police Department.
Unfortunately, millions of drivers on America’s highways continue to make deadly decisions by driving a vehicle or riding a motorcycle while intoxicated, which jeopardizes their safety and the safety of others on our roads.
The James City County Police Department recommends these simple tips for a safe holiday season:
- Plan a safe way home before the festivities begin.
- Before drinking, designate a sober driver and leave your car keys at home.
- If you’re impaired, use a taxi, call a sober friend or family member, or use public transportation.
- If you happen to see a drunk driver on the road, don’t hesitate to contact your local law enforcement.
- And remember, buzzed driving is drunk driving. If you know someone who is about to drive or ride with a driver who is impaired, take the driver’s keys and help them make other arrangements to get to where they are going safely.