August 28, 2011, 1 p.m.
News Release #10
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
James City County Emergency Operations Center
Renee Dallman or Jody Puckett, JCC Communications
James City County update, August 28 1 p.m.
- The County shelter will close at 3 p.m. today. TheJames City/Williamsburg Community Center will remain open for air conditioning and showers until 8 p.m. tonight.
- The County’s website is back online at www.jamescitycountyva.gov.
- County crews are now assessing storm damage; Dominion Power crews are beginning their work to restore power. At this time we do not have information on progress.
- Residents can stack their storm-related woody debris to the curb for pick up later; do not burn debris.
- Jolly Pond Convenience center will be open Monday and storm debris can be taken there.
- County web site and internet access is down.
- Citizens can find local information through Facebook/Twitter emergency hotline 757-875-2424 or call our public inquiry line at 757-564-2140.
- JCSA and Newport News Waterworks water is safe to drink. We are not under a boil water notice.
- Water is available at Stonehouse Elementary, 3651 Rochambeau Drive, bring your own container.
- Those residents needing showers or air conditioning can visit the James City Community Center at 5301 Longhill Road.
- County parks, convenience centers and libraries remain closed.
- Avoid downed power lines and standing water; wear sturdy footwear; most intersections are without stoplights and traffic conditions are dangerous. Please stay off the roads so emergency and repair crews have access.
- Report traffic light outages to JCC police dispatch at 757-564-2151. Report downed trees and power lines to the County public inquiry line at 564-2140 or 911. Stay 10 feet away from downed power lines.
- The County has a public shelter at the James City/Williamsburg Community Center, 5301 Longhill Road.
- County residents should sign up to receive local emergency alert information at www.jccalert.org. Text messaging charges may apply.
- For more information, follow James City County on Facebook and Twitter; monitor local news media including WMBG 740 AM; the County’s website jamescitycountyva.gov; JCC TV on Cox Cable 48; and the emergency hotline 757-875-2424.
- Spanish-speaking residents are encouraged to visit www.ListoVirginia.gov for preparation information.