August 29, 2011, 5:30 p.m.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
James City County Emergency Operations Center
Renee Dallman or Jody Puckett, JCC Communications
757-564-2140 Citizen Inquiry Line
James City County update, August 29 5:30 p.m.
- County staff are continuing to compile damage assessment estimates and will have additional information on August 30.
- County-wide curbside debris pick up is scheduled to begin September 6. There will be one collection pass through the County to all affected areas. James City County residents can stack their storm-related debris at the edge of their property line at the curb, within 10 feet of the road, away from low hanging wires and anything that could be hit or damaged by the truck.
- Do not mix vegetative debris and construction or it will not be picked up. No hazardous materials. Do not burn debris.
- Vegetative debris can also be bagged in clear bags no larger than lawn or leaf-size (40 gallons or less).
- Jolly Pond Convenience Center will be open Tuesday, August 30, 7 a.m.–5 p.m. for residential vegetative debris only at no charge. Proof of James City County residency is required. No commercial contractors or debris will be accepted. This free disposal will continue until September 16.
- Residential construction debris will be accepted only at the Jolly Pond Convenience Center with Convenience Center coupons. Coupons are available for purchase online at www.jamescitycountyva.gov/epayment or at Satellite Services (3127 Forge Road) or at fire stations.
- Due to travel lane restrictions on Jolly Pond Road, any loads or vehicles larger than cars or pickup trucks are advised to use Chickahominy Road and Cranstons Mill Pond Road to access the Convenience Center.
- Do not mix construction materials with vegetative debris.
- Tewning Road and Toano Convenience Centers will be closed until electricity is provided.
- County staff will continue issuing expedited building permits for residents and businesses for the repair of structures damaged by the storm at the JCC Law Enforcement Center, 4600 Opportunity Way. All fees will be waived and proof of storm damage is needed. For more information call 879-1955.
- Those residents needing showers or air conditioning can visit the James City/Williamsburg Community Center at 5301 Longhill Road until 9 p.m. Monday, August 29 and from 6 a.m.–9 p.m. on Tuesday, August 30.
- The James City/Williamsburg Community Center pool will reopen Tuesday, August 30.
- JCSA and Newport News Waterworks water is safe to drink. The County is NOT under a boil water notice.
- Water is available by connection to a fire hydrant in front of the parking lot at Stonehouse Elementary, 3651 Rochambeau Drive. Residents must bring their own containers.
- The Emergency Operations Center and public inquiry line will close at 5 p.m., August 29 and reopen at 8 a.m., August 30.
- County offices will be open although offices at the County Government Center are still without power and services may not be fully functional. Citizens should call the public inquiry line to find out what County services are available, 564-2140.
- Avoid downed power lines and standing water; keep at least 10 feet away from downed power lines and wear sturdy footwear if you need to go out.
- Many intersections are without stoplights and traffic conditions are dangerous. Please stay off the roads so emergency and repair crews have access.
- Report traffic light outages to JCC police dispatch at 564-2151. Report downed trees and power lines to the County public inquiry line at 564-2140 or 911.
- County residents should sign up to receive local emergency alert information at www.jccalert.org. Text messaging charges may apply.
Curbside debris collection
Convenience Centers and self haul information
James City County operations/services
For more information, follow James City County on Facebook and Twitter; monitor local news media including WMBG 740 AM; the County’s website jamescitycountyva.gov; JCC TV on Cox Cable 48; and the emergency hotline 757-875-2424.
Spanish-speaking residents are encouraged to visit www.ListoVirginia.gov for preparation information.