James City County Voter and Election Redistricting receives Department of Justice preclearance
June 24, 2011
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Alan J. “AJ” Cole Sr., General Registrar
The Department of Justice (DOJ) has pre-cleared the James City County Voter and Election Redistricting Plan which takes effect immediately.
Over 85 percent of County voters are directly affected by the redistricting plan through one or more of the following changes: Virginia State Senate District; Virginia State House of Delegates District; James City County Local Election District; or Polling Place.
Adjusted precinct and polling place information is now available at www.jamescitycountyva.gov/voter/polling-place.html.
Since part of the County has been redrawn into the 1st State Senate District, voters associated with the following adjusted precincts will vote on Tuesday, Aug. 23, 2011 in the Republican Party Primary Election:
- Berkeley A at Jamestown High School
- Berkeley B at Clara Byrd Baker Elementary School
- Berkeley C at Matoaka Elementary School
- Jamestown C at Greensprings Chapel
- Jamestown D at James City/Williamsburg Community Center *
- Powhatan A at Hornsby Middle School
- Powhatan C at Toano Middle School
- Stonehouse A at Crosswalk Community Church
- Stonehouse B at Norge Elementary School
- Stonehouse C at Stonehouse Elementary School
- Roberts B at Mt. Gilead Baptist Church
- Roberts D at Rawls Byrd Elementary School
Residents associated with the following adjusted precincts will not be voting and the associated polling places will not be open for voting:
- Jamestown A at Legacy Hall
- Jamestown B at James City/Williamsburg Community Center *
- Powhatan B at Lafayette High School
- Powhatan D at Warhill High School
- Roberts A at James River Elementary School
- Roberts C at Grace Baptist Church
*NOTE: The James City/Williamsburg Community Center will be open for Jamestown D voters only.
New Virginia Voter Identification Cards for voters in the 3rd State Senate District will be mailed during the first week of August. Voter ID cards for all other affected voters will be mailed at a later date but before their next election. In order to ensure that you receive your new card in a timely manner, you can verify your current residence address is on file with the Voter Registrar by calling 757-253-6868.
Registered voters will be able to access their voter registration information on-line. When the updates are complete more information will be available on the James City County Voter Registrar’s website at www.jamescitycountyva.gov/vote.