N E W S R E L E A S E
May 11, 2012
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Allen J. Murphy, Development Manager
JCC Historical Commission unveils new historic highway marker
Members of the James City County Historical Commission unveiled a new historic highway marker for the Blockhouses near Jamestown. The marker honors the area where early English colonists built small fortified structures around the perimeter of the main settlement at Jamestown to serve as refuges and observation posts. The blockhouses were attacked by the Paspahegh Indians in March 1611, resulting in the killing of the soldiers stationed there. The highway marker is located at the end of Jamestown Road near the Jamestown Settlement and the entrance to the Jamestown-Scotland Ferry.
For more information, please contact the Planning Division at 757-253-6685 or email@example.com.
PHOTO CAPTION: Members of the Historical Commission Site Overview Committee unveiling the ‘Blockhouses Near Jamestown’ historic highway marker are from L to R, Lafayette Jones, Fred Boelt and Alain Outlaw