N E W S R E L E A S E
May 22, 2012
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Jeff Hicklin, Lieutenant, James City County Police
James City County police service awards
On May 17, 2012 James City County Police Department held its annual Service Awards Ceremony recognizing many officers for their continued high levels of service and dedication to safety in the community. Citizens and other County employees who have supported the Department’s efforts in community safety were also recognized.
Senior Officer Todd Dill was named Officer of the Year. Officer Dill coordinated the Department’s first-ever “Shop with a Cop” event that raised $2,400 for needy children. He also coordinated the Department’s third Annual Car Show to benefit the Project Lifesaver program which provides the ability to track people who tend to wander, such as those with Alzheimer’s, Dementia or Autism. The three annual shows have heightened program awareness and raised more than $3,000 each year to support this vital service which is offered at no-cost to James City County citizens. The award for Officer of the Year is given to a sworn member of the police department who distinguishes himself or herself by performing their duties in a manner which is above normally expected or required and is sufficient to distinguish the individual from others performing comparable duties.
The Lifesaving Award was given to Master Officers Keith Campbell and Officer Jason Slodysko who both acted quickly in two separate incidents to save or attempt to save a human life.
Investigator Lesa Barnett received the Meritorious Service Award. Throughout the course of the last year, Investigator Barnett has accomplished several things that distinguished her among her peers by demonstrating a strong commitment to the Police Department and community. She routinely demonstrates a professional attitude and strong work ethic in all her assignments.
Letters of Commendation and Certificates of Appreciation were also presented during the ceremony.
Letters of Commendation:
- Jeff McCracken (County Employee, Fleet Maintenance) for assisting with serious injury or fatal motor vehicle crash investigations.
- Sgt. Chris Belote, Lt. Tony Dallman, Sgt. John LeClaire and Sgt. Dave Luchard for work on Policy Review Committee.
- Officers Keith Campbell, Chris Gibson, Marc Stedman and Jenni Tackes for development of Underwater Search & Rescue Team.
- Officer Jimmie Reardon for development of motorcycle program.
- Officers Robert McKenzie, Jim Miller, Jimmie Reardon, Jason Slodysko and Leslie Sten for occupant protection/enforcement.
- Officers Jeff Meister, Jim Miller, Kate Morris, Jimmie Reardon and Katie Scanlan for speed enforcement.
- Officers Zach Bowman, Meko Calderin, Dan Jackson, Jim Miller, Jeremy Morris and Greg White for DUI arrests/enforcement.
- Officers Zach Bowman, Rob McKenzie, Sterling Perry and Jason Slodysko for overall contribution to Police Department.
- Officers Sterling Perry, Marc Marchand and Kate Morris for apprehension of violent criminal (Armed Robbery, Olde Towne Pharmacy).
- Captain Jayson Crawley (Charles City County Sheriff’s Office) for assistance with Goodman & Sons Jewelry Store robbery – locating suspect vehicle.
Certificates of Appreciation:
- Chris Wilson (W&M employee) for scheduling use of W&M Pool for law enforcement training.
- Jeremy Henderson (Owner, Henderson Towing & Recovery) for towing crashed vehicles for Smart, Safe & Sober Programs.
- Master Firefighter/Medic Kenny Lamm (JCC Fire Department) for providing training to the Police Department’s Underwater Search and Recovery Team.
- Chris Gavrilovic, Jason Hewlett, Brian Wells for citizen assistance with arrest.
- Officer Donnie Borst for teamwork/flexibility (volunteering to change shifts).
- Officers Zach Bowman, Randy Coleman, Dupree Foster, Daniel Jackson, Robert McKenzie, Jeff Meister, Jim Miller, Jeremy Morris, Kate Morris, Katie Scanlan, Diane Walters, and Greg White for being selected for and serving on James City County Police Department’s Highway Safety Task Force 2011 – 2012.