N E W S R E L E A S E
April 10, 2013
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Paul Holt, Director of Planning
Historical Commission unveils new historic highway marker
|Caption: Members of the Historical Commission Site Overview Committee unveiling the Argall Town historic highway marker are, from left to right, Alain Outlaw, Fred Boelt and Lafayette Jones (Chair).|
Members of the James City County Historical Commission recently unveiled a new historic highway marker for Argall Town. The marker honors the 300 acre settlement established by Samuel Argall in around 1617. Argall Town was incorporated into the larger Governor’s Land tract but settlers petitioned to leave the settlement by 1627 due to exhausted soil, decayed houses and difficulty in defending the settlement from attacks. The highway marker is located at the end of Jamestown Road near the Jamestown Settlement and the entrance to the Jamestown-Scotland Ferry.
For more information, please contact the Planning Division at 757-253-6685 or firstname.lastname@example.org.