N E W S R E L E A S E
June 3, 2014
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Latara Branch, Civic Engagement Coordinator
McKercher receives Director of the Year award
Julie McKercher was selected as the Communications Center Director of the Year for 2013 by the Virginia Chapter of the Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials (APCO). The award was presented on May 15, 2014 at the APCO Spring Conference in Virginia Beach.
McKercher has served as Director of James City County’s Emergency Communications Division since 2006. Emergency Communications provides 24-hour coverage for emergency calls to Police, Fire and EMS in James City County. The Division also takes emergency calls for Animal Control and the James City Service Authority after normal business hours.
The APCO’s Communication Center Director of the Year Award recognizes an individual responsible for the overall operations of the communications center who meets the following criteria:
- Serves as a role model and displays a positive attitude
- Demonstrates the highest level of commitment to the communications center’s staff and their professional career development
- Accepts constructive criticism and exercises fairness
- Exemplifies leadership, integrity and vision
- Utilizes initiative, demonstrates creative thinking and is a team player
- Gains an appreciation for the operational function of the communications center
- Maintains a good working relationship with all aspects of the public safety community
- Is a good listener and solicits input from all levels of the organization
- Is willing to learn new technologies and enhances overall knowledge of the profession
For more information on the APCO, visit the website.