Toano Design Guidelines
The Toano Community Character Area Design Guidelines highlight improvements and plans for the Toano area and give guidance for future developments inside the Toano Community Character Area. The guidelines shall be considered and interpreted as conceptual and not necessarily as parcel specific. The guidelines are primarily implemented through case-by-case of rezonings and special use permits within Toano by the Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors.
On Feb. 14, 2006, the Board of Supervisors adopted the Toano Community Character Area Design Guidelines and Streetscape Plan.
The following principles were developed in consultation with the Toano Community Character Area Steering Committee as well as members of the public. The principles for the foundation for the streetscape and design guidelines are:
- Highlight and honor history;
- Encourage appropriate growth that enhances unique small town character;
- Preserve open space and establish communal green space;
- Enhance the pedestrian and bicycle environment while slowing vehicular traffic; and
- Improve streetscape and landscape to create a sense of place.
|Public Workshop Materials||Committee Meeting Materials|