4600 Opportunity Way
Williamsburg, VA 23188
P.O. Box 8784
Williamsburg, VA 23187
JCC Crime Line
Submit Crime/Drug Info!
House Checks are available to citizens who notify the police department that they are going out of town for a specific period of time. Patrol officers are then notified of specific homes that are on the house check list so they can check on them. This is a free service and can be set up in advance by contacting the Police Department at 757-259-5140, Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. You may also submit your request by email by completing and following the instructions on the below form.
The police department cannot guarantee that your home will not be the target of a crime while under our house check program. Other safeguards should also be put into place to help ensure that you home is more secure while you are away. Some examples are listed below:
- Make sure that all of your doors and windows are locked. Use deadbolts if available and don’t forget to lock your garage door.
- Place lights on a timer during the evening hours. Vary the times if possible.
- Have mail and newspaper delivery stopped while you are gone
- Don’t advertise on social media that you are going away or are away from home
- Don’t leave any spare keys outside of your home while you are gone
- Have a neighbor check on your home at least once a day and ask that they collect any unexpected packages, fliers, phone books, etc.
- Consider having a trusted friend or family member be a house sitter or pet sitter in your home while you are away
- Consider installing and utilizing a quality home security system. If you already have a system installed, let the alarm company know that you will be away.