430 Waller Mill Rd.
Williamsburg, VA 23188
JCC Crime Line
Submit Crime/Drug Info!
Our mission is to serve the community concerning the welfare of animals as well as problem, neglected, and dangerous animals. We are to enforce the County and State Animal Laws.
The Animal Control Unit is located at 430 Waller Mill Rd. in the Heritage Humane Society facility: Office hours are 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday - Friday - 757-565-0370. Dog licenses are due every year by Jan. 31. They can be purchased at the EOC building in Toano or the Treasurer's office on Mounts Bay Road. All dogs and cats are required by state law to be vaccinated for rabies at four months of age. If you keep a dog outside, the animal must have an enclosed shelter and water. And if on a chain, the chain should be three times the length of the body.
For more information, see our Brochure.
Animal Control offers many services to citizens including:
- The impoundment of stray dogs and dogs running at large
- Capturing stray dogs
- Attempting to locate the owners of stray and found animals
- Loaning cat traps to citizens for stray and feral cats for them to transfer to the Humane Society
- Offering animals for adoption
- Assist with sick and injured wildlife such as raccoons and opossums
- Investigate animal neglect and cruelty