4600 Opportunity WAy
Williamsburg, VA 23188
P.O. Box 8784
Williamsburg, VA 23187
JCC Crime Line
Submit Crime/Drug Info!
Auxiliary Police Force
Applications for Auxiliary Police Officer are only being accepted from someone who is already a Virginia DCJS Certified Law Enforcement Officer. For a list of minimum qualifications and disqualifiers, please click here. If you are a DCJS Certified Law Enforcement Officer and would like to apply, please go to the James City County Career Center to register and to fill out an online application.
If you are not already a police officer in Virginia and are interested in joining the Auxiliary Police Force, please subscribe to our Police Applicant Interest email subscription list by clicking here. Once subscribed, you will receive an email the next time we are accepting applications for auxiliary or full-time police officer positions. At this time, we do not know when the next Auxiliary Police Academy class will be held and will not accept applications for Auxiliary Police Officer until one is announced or scheduled by the Hampton Roads Criminal Justice Training Academy.
Applicants for the Auxiliary Police Force must:
- Be 21 years of age at time of completion of police academy and field training
- Possess a high school diploma or GED certificate
- Successfully complete the hiring process
- Successfully complete the required training
Applicants for the Auxiliary Police Force will go through the same process as those for full-time officers
- An oral interview
- Background investigation
- Polygraph examination
- Psychological and medical examinations to include a drug test
- Fitness assessment
- Completion of the Basic Auxiliary School or be a Virginia State Certified Police Officer
- Successful completion of firearms training
- Successful completion of tactical baton, and OC/CS spray training
- Successful completion of Field Training Program
- Forty hours of In-Service every two years
- Semi-annual firearms qualifications
- All Auxiliaries will serve at the discretion of the Chief of Police
- Auxiliaries will have the status of volunteers
- A minimum of nineteen (19) hours of service time is required every month
- Failure to perform, without cause, shall be reason for termination
According to 15.2-1731 Code of Virginia, Auxiliary Police Officers may be called into service under the following conditions:
- In time of emergencies
- At such times as there are insufficient numbers of regular police officers to preserve the peace, safety, and good order of the community
- At any time for the purpose of training such auxiliary officers
- To aid and assist regular police officers in the performance of their duties
The Auxiliary Police uniform is identical to that of a full-time officer.
Auxiliary Officers are generally issued the same equipment as full-time officers.
If you have questions about the Auxiliary Police Force, please contact Lt. Steve Humphries at 757-603-6022.