Manage finances wisely and encourage a balanced economy
- Construction began on J. Blaine Blayton Elementary and Lois Hornsby Middle schools. The Board of Supervisors approved the extension of water and sewer lines through Freedom Park to provide utilities to the schools’ site and the Park. More>>
he County continued to support and encourage local tourism initiatives through participation on the Marketing Resource Task Force. The Task Force is comprised of marketing staff from the
area’s attractions, the Williamsburg Hotel Motel Association, a representative from the Chamber and Tourism Alliance and representatives from James City County, York County and the City of Williamsburg. As a result, the County was highlighted in several national magazines and TV programs including:
- Renovations began at the James City / Williamsburg Community Center with the replacement of the whirlpool. Work continues with the refurbishment of the locker rooms, pool deck and other areas. The project is scheduled to be completed in fall 2009.
- Federal, State and local grants totaling nearly $3.5 million helped offset the County’s costs for criminal justice, public safety, housing assistance and more. Programs offered as a result of grant funding include:
- Every 30 Minutes – A powerful two-day event at local high schools that depicts the ramifications of a student’s decision to drink and drive.
- Offender Reentry Transitional Services – Provides parenting education, job placement, emergency housing and other services for inmates returning to the local community.
- Indoor Plumbing Assistance – Funds loans and grants for qualified low and moderate income homeowners to install indoor plumbing, connect to public water and sewer and repair failed wells and septic systems.