These are just several of the ways you can help shape the direction of your Parks and Recreation Department.
Volunteering…Your gift to our Community!
Lend a Hand. Make a Difference. Be a Part of Something GREAT!
Get Involved! VOLUNTEER with James City County Parks and Recreation. Opportunities include:
- Exercise your love for the Outdoors - join us in keeping one of our nine playgrounds, 22 parks, 40 miles of trails or waterfront property beautiful
- Stay active in our local Sports – build community cheer by supporting tournaments, such as the annual Pickleball tournament in the fall
- Share your Talent - introduce others to your hobbies and interests as an instructor in Recreation Services programs
- Support our Special Events - over 25 family and fun special events annually, from Santa Calling to the Easter Egg Hunts to the Park-2-Park Bike Tour
- Adopt A Park - lend a hand and help with our park projects like planting trees or grasses at the Jamestown Beach Park
- Become an Inclusion Companion - assist persons with disabilities to participate in our programs and at our parks and facilities
- Develop leadership skills - sign your child or grandchild up to be a Pledge Leader at the Board Of Supervisor Meetings
You are the Key - with your help we can continue to grow as a community partner, expand our commitment to quality and provide Gold Medal Award Winning Excellence to James City County.
If you’re interested in any of the volunteer opportunities, please complete the Volunteer Application. For more information please contact Angie Sims, Volunteer and Resource Coordinator at 757-259-5403 or via email.
This is a volunteer program, for outgoing, positive and hard-working youth ages 13-17. In this program, youth get the opportunity to:
- Volunteer in a variety of County departments based on your interest (some placements include After School programs, Summer camp programs and Parks and Administrative offices.)
- Develop leadership and communication skills
- Explore career and develop career skills
Interested youth should submit a letter:
- Explaining their interest in volunteering
- Any work experience they have
- Their preferred work area
Once the letter is received, an interview is scheduled with the youth and their parents.
Acceptance and site placement are based on availability of positions.
Please Mail your application to:
Teen Program Coordinator
5300 Palmer Lane, Suite 1A
Williamsburg, VA, 23188
Partner with James City County Parks and Recreation to improve our community! We offer many sponsorship and donation opportunities for businesses, organizations and individuals. Our programs and facilities generate attendance of over three million people annually, which can provide significant exposure for your brand. Current sponsorship opportunities include:
- Sanford B. Wanner Stadium Banners—gain name recognition and support your favorite local team with a banner at Wanner Stadium in the Warhill Sports Complex
- Dog Station Sponsorship Program—help us keep your parks clean by sponsoring a dog station, which provides park visitors with complimentary biodegradable dog waste bags
- Days of Discovery—sponsor Parks & Recreation’s 8-week summer camp for youth, teens and young adults with disabilities. Funding or donation of sensory equipment is urgently needed!
- Iceburg Skate Rink – sponsor the peninsula’s only synthetic skate rink! Iceburg Skate Rink at Mid County Park operates November 20 through January 31, 2016.
- My Place Playground Bricks—support the inclusive playground adjacent to the James City County Recreation Center with a commemorative engraved brick paving stone
- Sponsorship Policy - a quick overview of sponsorship rules and regulations
JCC Parks & Recreation aspires to create partnerships that benefit your business while enhancing quality of life for all citizens. Both cash and in-kind sponsorships are welcome, and we can customize sponsorship packages to meet your needs. We have sponsorship opportunities for any budget—every contribution is valued. For more information, contact Julie via email or 757-259-5412.
The Parks and Recreation Advisory Commission serves as a liaison between the Director of Parks and Recreation, the Board of Supervisors and County Administrator and the community on recreation and park matters. They also provide input on recreation and park planning. Members are appointed by the Board of Supervisors for staggered 4-year terms. Commission meetings are held on the 3rd Wednesday of every month at 7 a.m. at the Parks and Recreation Administrative Office, 5300 Palmer Ln., Suite 1A. The meetings are open to the public, and a meeting agenda can be obtained by calling 757-259-5410.
Shaping Our Shores is a master plan for three sites located along James City County waterways - the former Jamestown Beach Campground, the Jamestown Yacht Basin and Chickahominy Riverfront Park. The Beach Campground and the Yacht Basin are located on Jamestown Road along the James River and Powhatan Creek. Chickahominy Riverfront Park is located on Route 5 where Gordon’s Creek meets the Chickahominy River. The Master Plan addresses the long-range physical development, use and stewardship of these three sites. It presents a vision for the physical environment that promotes and supports the values and goals of James City County citizens.
You can learn more about the Greenway Master Plan by viewing it in the Planning Division (101 Mounts Bay Rd., - 757-253-6685) and the Division Department of Parks and Recreation (5300 Palmer Lane, Suite 1A 757-259-3200). Copies can be purchased.
Call Nancy Ellis, Parks Administrator, at 259-5370 for details, maps and plans, visit www.jamescitycountyva.gov/sos
The Youth Advisory Council (YAC) is comprised of 15 very motivated and driven, young leaders. The YAC represents all area middle and high school students and serves as a liaison between youth and local government. Joining YAC is an excellent chance to not only speak your mind, but make changes and enhancements in your community. An application and interview are required.
Applications are accepted until all council positions are filled. Only James City County youth in grades 8-12 are eligible to apply.
Please mail your application to:
Teen Program Coordinator
5300 Palmer Lane, Suite 1A
Williamsburg, VA 23188
The Master Plan provides staff, elected officials and citizens with a valuable planning tool to guide the development of new facilities and programs over the next 10-15 years. The Parks and Recreation Master Plan Update process spanned almost two years, and comments from 1,300 citizens were compiled and analyzed. The Plan was approved by the County Board of Supervisors in June 2009, and now becomes a component of the County’s Comprehensive Plan, currently under review.