In May 1997, James City County began sponsoring household chemical collections as part of a regional program coordinated by Virginia Peninsula Public Service Authority. This program enables residents to safely dispose of household chemicals. In general, the types of chemicals included in this program are:
- Household Maintenance Products (oils, paints, latex paints, stains, wood sealers, thinners, solvents, adhesives, glues)
- Automotive Products (gasoline and other fuels, auto batteries, car waxes, oil and gasoline mixtures, transmission fluid, brake fluid, fuel additives)
- Lawn & Garden Products (Insecticides, weed killers, other pesticides, fertilizers, swimming pool chemicals)
- Household Cleaning Products (oven cleaners, drain cleaners, metal polishes, floor waxes)
- Miscellaneous Products (photo finishing supplies, chemistry sets, charcoal fluid, fluorescent light bulbs including compact fluorescent light bulbs - CFLs)
All collections are open to the residents of Williamsburg, James City County, York County, Hampton and Poquoson. Proof of residency may be required. All collections will include electronics recycling. Click here for more information on household chemical collections.