In May 1997, James City County began sponsoring household chemical collections as part of a regional program coordinated by Virginia Peninsula Public Service Authority. This program enables residents to safely dispose of household chemicals. In general, the types of chemicals included in this program are:
- Household Maintenance Products (oils, paints, latex paints, stains, wood sealers, thinners, solvents, adhesives, glues)
- Automotive Products (gasoline and other fuels, auto batteries, car waxes, oil and gasoline mixtures, transmission fluid, brake fluid, fuel additives)
- Lawn & Garden Products (Insecticides, weed killers, other pesticides, fertilizers, swimming pool chemicals)
- Household Cleaning Products (oven cleaners, drain cleaners, metal polishes, floor waxes)
- Miscellaneous Products (photo finishing supplies, chemistry sets, charcoal fluid, fluorescent light bulbs including compact fluorescent light bulbs - CFLs)
All collections are open to the residents of Williamsburg, James City County, York County, Hampton and Poquoson. Proof of residency may be required. All collections will include electronics recycling.
For a larger view, click on picture above.