Skip Navigation and go to Main Content
JCC Home page JCC Home Page

Engineering & Resource Protection

 Boards and
Home » Departments & Services » Engineering & Resource Protection » Erosion and Sediment Control
  Facebook Twitter YouTube Calendar
  Click to change text size Print this page ePayment Share this page

Contact Information:


Engineering & Resource Protection

101-E Mounts Bay Rd.

Williamsburg, VA 23185



P: 757-253-6670

F: 757-259-4032


Staff Contact Information


Hours of Operation


8 a.m. - 5 p.m.


Messages and Events

Effective July 1, 2014, County became a VSMP Authority


Erosion and Sediment Control


The erosion control plan must be prepared in accordance with the Virginia Erosion and Sediment Control Handbook (VESCH), 3rd edition, 1992. The VESCH contains the minimum standards for control of erosion and sedimentation land disturbing activities in Virginia and applies to all local programs in the State of Virginia. To obtain a copy of the handbook contact:

The Virginia Division of Soil & Water Conservation
Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation
203 Governor St., Suite 206
Richmond, VA 23219
P: 804-786-2064

James City County requires that a Land Disturbing Permit be issued for land disturbing activities which involve areas of 2,500 square feet or more. For a non-residential site plan the fee for this permit is $600 per acre for the first 15 acres plus $400 per acre for any acre over 15.   For a residential site plan the fee for this permit is $840 per acre for the first 15 acres plus $560 per acre for any acre over 15.   If it is a residential subdivision, the fee is $70 per lot. There is no maximum fee. In order to obtain a permit, an approved erosion control plan, a completed Land Disturbing Permit application, and a Siltation Agreement with the required performance surety (bond, letter of credit, etc.) must be provided to the Division.

A Land Disturbing Permit is not required for construction of a single-family dwelling. However, an Agreement in Lieu of a plan and a site plan showing erosion control measures is required before issuance of a Building Permit. In addition, a $100 Erosion control fee will be charged for each new single-family building permit application.

For more information, please call 757-253-6670.

The Official Site of James City County, Virginia
e-Subscribe | Contact Us | How do I? | e-Payment
Privacy Practices and Security Policy