Streetlight Information for Developers
Most streetlights in James City County are installed by the developer during the development process. Streetlights within new nonresidential developments shall be installed by the developer in accordance with the requirements of the Zoning and Subdivision Ordinances.
Requests by citizens to have the County participate in streetlight installations are handled by General Services.
A. Residential Areas
- Light size - 5,000 lumens
- Distance between lights 300-400 feet
- Maximum number of lights in a subdivision shall not exceed one light per three lots
- Each light shall be on the right-of-way of a public street
- A light shall be placed at all intersections and in all cul-de-sacs.
B. Nonresidential light standards shall be established in the individual streetlight plans for these areas. Standards shall be coordinated with the Virginia Department of Transportation standards for roadway lighting. Each light shall be on the right-of-way of a public street.