5249 Olde Towne Rd.
Williamsburg, VA 23188
TDD for hearing impaired:
Hours of Operation
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Foster Care Recruitment and Training
What does it take to provide proper foster care?
- Are single or married.
- Are preferably at least 21 years of age.
- Have their own source of income from employment or benefits.
- Can provide a safe and healthy home.
- Have enough living space to care for a child, either in a house or apartment.
- Are willing to work with an agency, children’s families, schools and others.
- Are able to help a child cope with separation from his family and with the effects of abuse and neglect.
- Are able to let go when the time comes.
James City County’s Foster Care Program offers:
- Support to foster families prior to, during and after placement by agency.
- Pre-Service Training during approval to prepare families for foster parenting.
- Regular In-Service Training at any time on issues that are of concern or interest.
- Notification of workshops, conferences and regional trainings.
- Support through a resource library of books/videotapes on relevant subjects.
- Ongoing recognition for foster parents in newsletters and at an annual event during Foster Parent Appreciation Month (May).
- Networking opportunities with other foster parents or resources set up by recruiter/trainer to help with foster parenting issues.
For more information on becoming a foster family in James City County, please contact Claudette Blue at 757-259-3120 or via Email.