101-A Mounts Bay Road
Williamsburg, VA 23187
Hours of Operation
8 a.m. -5 p.m.
- Division Home page
- Building Safety & Permits
- Development Management
- Engineering & Resource Protection
- Planning Division
A home occupation must comply with the following conditions:
Any occupation or activity which is clearly incidental and secondary to the use of the premises for dwelling purposes and conducted solely by residents of the dwelling; provided, that:
- The occupation or activity is conducted entirely within the dwelling; and
- Not more than 25 percent of the first floor area is used throughout the structure for such occupation or activity;
- The occupation or activity requires no external alterations or the use or outdoor storage of machinery or equipment that creates noise, odor, smoke, dust or glare or is dangerous or otherwise detrimental to persons residing in the home or on adjacent property;
- No exterior evidence of the secondary use exists, with the exception of one sign, not to exceed 4 square feet. Such a sign must be attached to the dwelling and shall not be illuminated;
- No articles are displayed or otherwise offered for sale upon the premises;
- No equipment or process is used that may disrupt neighboring dwellings; and
- Traffic is not generated in greater volumes than would normally be expected in a residential neighborhood and any need for parking generated by the conduct of such home occupation shall be met off the street.
A home occupation application must be completed, and submitted to the Commissioner of Revenue’s Office. Before a business permit is issued the application must be approved by Zoning. Should you have any questions regarding the conditions listed above, please call the Planning and Zoning Office at 757-253-6685. Any other questions regarding a business permit should be directed to the Commissioner of Revenue’s Office at 757-253-6695.