Military Discharges / DD-214 Instructions

Recordation of Discharge

Virginia Code §17.1-265 provides that the clerk where a person discharged from the U.S. armed forces resides shall record, free of charge, the original or a properly authenticated copy of either the discharge certificate or the report of separation from active duty (DD-214), or both. Once recorded, you may obtain a valid certified copy from the Circuit Court Clerk's Office at no charge.

Obtaining Records

The Department of Veterans Affairs does not retain veteran military service records. Military service records are kept by the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) which is under the jurisdiction of the National Archives and Records Administration.

To request military service records, complete the Standard Form 180, Request Pertaining to Military Records. Fill in as much information as possible and send it to the correct address listed on the form by U.S. mail. Please not that it may take up to 6 months for a reply from the NPRC after your written request is received.

Types of Records & Information

The following information may be obtained from the Department of Veterans Affairs:
  • Burial Benefits
  • Headstone and Markers
  • Military Funeral Honors
  • National Cemetery Administration
  • Obtaining Military Records and Medals
  • Presidential Memorial Certificates

For More Information

You may contact the Department of Veterans Affairs toll free at 800-827-1000.