Be Ready for Any Emergency
What does your household need to do to be ready for an emergency? Now is the time to get started. Prepare for any emergency or disaster by following these steps:
- Sign up for local emergency alerts
- If you or a loved one have special needs, such as mobility challenges, be sure to register with the County's special needs assistance program so you can receive assistance during or after an emergency event.
- Make a plan to communicate with family members. Designate someone outside the area to be the point-of-contact.
- Write down loved one’s phone numbers on a piece of paper, along with other important phone numbers, in case digital contact lists become unavailable. Keep your paper list it in a waterproof bag and store it with other emergency supplies. Find a printable template with important local phone numbers here (PDF).
- Gather enough supplies for your family to stay in your home without utilities for 3 days.
Heads Up Program
The Heads Up Program enables James City County residents to provide information about their pre-existing conditions to the Emergency Communications Center. This information prepares responders for special conditions prior to their arrival in an emergency.