Stream Restoration - May 2018
Scope of WorkThe Oxford Road Stream Restoration will repair drainage infrastructure and protect property and sewer infrastructure by stabilizing erosion in an area of the County which has highly erodible soils and runoff from upstream development that was created prior to current, more stringent stormwater management requirements. The project flows northeast to southwest from the eroded outfall of the La Fontaine stormwater pond outfall, across an exposed JCSA water main and 450 linear feet of eroded stream channel. The Oxford Road Stream Restoration is located in the Mill Creek Watershed and is identified as a priority restoration in the Mill Creek Watershed Management Plan.
The goal of the design is to create a channel with a stable pattern, profile and dimension and stabilize actively eroding banks. Streambank stabilization structures will be employed in the stream restoration. Invasive plants will be removed and replaced with native trees, shrubs and herbaceous vegetation.
Status of ProjectThe site plan, developed by Stantec, has been approved. Easements have been recorded and all necessary permits and/or approvals have been obtained for the project. Stormwater Local Assistance Fund (SLAF) grant applications were submitted to the DEQ in July 2017. A 50% matching grant was awarded to James City County for the project. A contract was awarded to the lowest qualified, responsive and responsible bid at $120,760 by Environmental Quality Resources (EQR). Construction began with mobilization in mid-December 2017 and continued into the clearing stage in early January 2018. The project has been hampered by holidays and inclement weather but the contractor is on track to finish early in February 2018.
- Design Plans - 100% Complete
- Bidding Phase - Complete
- Construction Phase - December 2017–March 2018
- Stormwater restoration improvements - $766,000
- EQR (Construction) - $120,760
- Contract Amount and percent completed - $120,760 - 100%
- STANTEC (design, CQA and monitoring) - $75,423
- Contract Amount and percent completed - $57,766 – 77%
- Landtech Resources Inc. (survey) - $5,400
- Contract Amount and percent completed - $5,400 – 100%
- Grant funding secured
- Design is complete
- Complete easement acquisition.
- Site plan approval
- Corps of Engineer Permit approval
- Land Disturbing Permit approval
- Solicit bids for the work
- Obtain land disturbing permits
- Begin construction
- Construction complete
- Post-construction monitoring
- The necessary work will need to be performed in an environmentally sensitive area.